Chapter 32: Heavy Hitters

"He liked her; it was as simple as that." Nicholas Sparks

Ellen sat cross legged amongst the rows of wooden crosses that rested behind one of the trailers at the Hilltop, her eyes closed and brows furrowed, deep in concentration.

Her lip twitched in annoyance when two voices cut through her peaceful meditation, two loud sets of footsteps approaching.

She recognized Rick and Daryl's voices, discussing what the next move was.

An attack on Hilltop was imminent, the events of what happened at Alexandria the previous night still fresh in the men's minds.

In fact, it was only a matter of time before they showed up, and the men were aware of this.

Rick offered to go watch the road, and alert the others if he noticed the Saviors' vehicles.

"Ahem," the woman said loudly, opening one eye to glare at the men. "I was kinda in the zone."

"Shit, sorry. Didn't even realize..."

Ellen rolled her eyes, standing to her feet and brushing dust from her pants. "It's fine, but it'll cost you. Whatever you're doing, I want in."

The two men exchanged a glance, before Rick shrugged. "Okay. You can ride with me."

Before they left, Daryl came up to the woman, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, come 'ere," he said quietly.

Ellen raised a brow, a suggestive grin creeping onto her face as the man led her around the corner of a trailer.

"What? You really want me to blow you right now?"

Daryl rolled his eyes at her, but she noted the twinkle in them and the effort he was making to not laugh.

"Hey, listen to me, last night... Carl... he didn't make it. Rick and Michonne spent the day buryin' him, that's why they weren't with us in the swamp," he said, his voice low.

Ellen's face dropped. "Wait, when did he... How...?"

"He got bit, like you said... Said it happened when he was outside the walls, when he found that doctor and brought him back."

Ellen felt her blood run cold and put a gloved hand over her mouth.

Daryl rested a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, it ain't nobody's fault. 'Specially not yours."

"That was the day I... If I had--"

"Nah. Don't do that."

The man pulled her into a tight embrace, wrapping her in his strong arms. Ellen sighed and hugged him back, burying her face in the man's chest.

"Could you... keep an eye on him?" Daryl mumbled against her ear. "I know he ain't showin' it, but you're the best when it comes to dealin' with this kinda thing."

Ellen frowned but nodded at the man as they pulled away.

Before Ellen could leave, Daryl kissed her, holding her face in between his hands firmly.

"Be careful," he said.

Ellen nodded at him, before turning away. "You too, peaches."

---

Ellen and Rick sat on top of the car, waiting on a hill to see if any of the Saviors' trucks broke cover.

Ellen watched the man, who'd been quiet for most of the duration of the trip.

"I heard what happened... I'm so sorry. You good?"

"I'm okay."

Rick turned his attention to the woman for a moment, lowering his binoculars. He looked at her, before his eyes fell to the ground.