XXI

Ben's Pov

I woke up early. I am usually giddy and excited this day, as I would be going back to school, but since Erica would not be there, what was the point? I thought of going back to bed. The only thing that would not let me is that someone needed to be Mike's seventh alarm. He sets six, sleeps through them all, and expects me to make sure he's up on time.

I texted him a few times and then got all of my things ready.

First day of Eastwood High.

Erica's Pov

I didn't want to wake up. But I had to anyway. Usually, my stepdad would come in and wake me up happily but I think he was still mad about our talk a little while ago. 

Whatever it's not like I really cared.

It was 7:00. My school started at 9. I couldn't go back to bed so to burn off sometime I started texting Zoe, hoping she was up.

Zoe

Erica: U up

Zoe: yep

Zoe: How u feeling?

Erica: okay

Erica: u?

Zoe: same miss u tho

Erica: can u like watch Ben a little

Erica: like make sure he does not hurt himself or something

Zoe: u mean make sure he does not find another girl he likes?

Erica: maybe...

Zoe: don't worry he is literally head over heels for you

Erica: but still make sure he doesn't you know

Zoe: yep

Zoe: I gtg text later?

Erica: mhm 

Erica: bye!

Zoe: have a great first day of school

Erica: u 2

Mike's Pov

For once in my life, I woke up early. I was up before Ben texted me to wake up. I wasn't excited, but I wasn't too bummed out either. I mean one person in our group has to be happy am I right?

For the first time in like ever, I was on the bus before Ben. Even the bus driver was surprised. I sat down in the very back row and waiting for Ben to arrive.

In a few minutes, he did.

"Wow Mike, you're early," Ben said sitting beside me

"Yep, I had to be here so I could cheer you up. And Zoe on that thought." He said

"Mike?" Ben asked looking at me

"Mhm."

"You think- Do you think Erica might find another boy she likes?"

I looked at Ben. He was worried. I mean I could not blame him. This was the first time he locked in a relationship.

"There is no way she will. And it'll only be for a few days because if she is moving in two weeks then we are going to find out why she is moving and stop her dad from moving so we will be in the same school again before two weeks are over." I explained to Ben

"But what if we can't find out and she ends up moving?"

"See, this is why I woke up early, so I could be here when you start doubting your life choices."

Ben laughed

"You see Zoe? I can't find her." I said standing up so I could get a better view of the bus.

"She's at her grandparent's house with is basically right next to the school so she is walking there. Remember?" Ben told me

"Oh yeah," I said sitting down just as the bus started to move forward.

Zoe's Pov

I waited at the front of the school for Ben and Mike. I was quite nervous. A few of my friends were going to this school as well, but none of us were as close as Erica and I.

"Hey, Zoe!" I heard

I turned around and saw Mike walking over, Ben not far behind.

"Hi," I said. I reached for Mike's hand and squeezed it. 

"Hi Zoe," Ben said to me.

"Let's go in," He said pushing open the clear doors of our school.

Mike and I trailed behind him, still holding hands.

"What are your classes?" I asked taking out a slip of paper from my backpack that had all of mine written down on it.

Ben took out his and showed me.

Mike let go of my hand and started patting down his pockets. 

"I may have left mine at home." He said sheepishly

Ben rolled his eyes and took out a second slip of paper from his backpack.

"Here," he said

"Is that my classes?" Mike asked

"Mhm. I made a copy. I knew something like this would happen."

I giggled. 

"You guys are cute together," I informed them

They laughed 

I looked at all of our classes.

"We have mathematics, gym, lunch, and science together," I said looking at them happily.

"Pretty good," Ben said nodding

"You and I also have Language Arts together," I said to Ben

"And you and Mike have social studies together," I said glancing at Ben and Mike.

"Cool," Mike said

"What's my first period?" Ben said glancing at his paper that was in my hand

"We all have math first," I said

Just then the bell rang. We walked together to our class.

Erica's Pov

I knew literally no one. I made it through to lunch and sat by myself at a table. It might as well have said 'LONER' on it because that was how I felt. It was just like the good old days.

I sighed and finished up my sandwich. Then I headed to the library, hoping to find out something more about why my dad may be moving. I think I knew but I wasn't sure. I was sort of expecting the worse from him. I look through divorce books and researched more about the jobs there, and a few other things.

I glanced down the long row of multi-colored books and one thick black one caught my eye. It was titled 'Blackmailing.'