XVIII

Mike's POV

Betrayal. That's what I felt as my friend sliced my head off. I frowned at my phone. Just then a notification interrupted me from my game of Among Us. It was a text from Zoe.

Fire Breathing Duckies 🐥🔥

Zoe: meet me at the park at 10

Mike: ok sure

Ben: Ok

Erica: i'll be there

I rode my bicycle to the park. It was near all of our houses, so we often met up there. I arrived and saw Zoe and Ben sitting on a bench. Zoe was pointing to something on her iPad and Ben was looking at it.

"Hi, Mike,"

I turned around and saw Erica.

"Hey,"

"Any idea why she told us to come?" She asked as we walked to Ben and Zoe.

"No, I'm not sure," I said with a shrug.

We arrived at the bench and I sat on the other side of Zoe. Erica sat down beside Ben.

"Guys, I have big news. I think I know why Erica's stepdad wants to move."

"Why?" Erica asked.

Zoe pointed to a huge building, people spilled in and out of the building.

"This is a popular job and see the building? It's beautiful, isn't it?" she asked.

The building itself was huge. At the rooftop lay solar panels, all placed in a designated spot. Glass doors decorated the front and millions of balconies overlooked the park. So pretty much, it was a luxury apartment building.

I nodded my head in agreement and saw Ben and Erica doing the same.

"Well, the interior of this building is even better. It has multiple lounges, spacious offices, a pool and even a hot tub. It also has a cafeteria, there are also party rooms available for the workers to host in."

"Wow." I said, "I wanna work there."

"So... why exactly are you telling us this?" Erica asked, confused.

"So, well, this company is huge internationally. I'm pretty sure even you guys have heard of this business. It pays a hefty amount of money. And Erica, where you will be moving is right beside this building. I think your dad wants a job here, or maybe he already has a spot here. After all, this is a dream job." Zoe finished, looking at us to see how we react.

"That might be a good reason. If what Zoe says is accurate, you should be able to get a lot of money and that will help with any things." Ben said.

"But," Erica began, she looked confused and angry (At her dad, of course). "my dad loves his job, and we have never had money issues. I don't think... I don't think this is the right answer." she said looking at the ground.

"Erica, maybe what Zoe says is true and you just don't want to believe it," I said slowly.

Erica looked at us and then stood up and walked away, not even sparing us another glance. I swear I heard a sob as she turned around the corner, and ran out of sight.

Erica's POV

"Erica, maybe what Zoe says is true and you just don't want to believe it," Ben told me.

I was mad. And at the moment, I was mad at them as well as my dad. I don't know why, but emotions swirled through my head and I couldn't take it. I ran back home without saying goodbye.