X

Ben's POV:

We all followed Chip and Jawa to the exit. I ran outside, free from the school at last. Ambulances were coming in the distance and a few of them were already here, coming in and out and putting people on stretchers, handing out water bottles, stuff like that. I got some water from a nearby Firefighter, and so did everyone else. The water felt so nice and cold as I drank it. Chip was still holding Mike and was talking to someone. They took Mike and put him on a stretcher. They looked at Erica, Zoe, and I and told us to come as well.

Zoe's Pov

I had always wanted to ride in an ambulance, but it was not as fun as I thought it would be. Now that the excitement from finally being outside had worn off, I felt tired, hungry, and was hurting all over. When we finally arrived at the hospital, they separated us. They put bandages on me and did some other stuff but I don't remember that well because I fell to sleep. When I woke up the first thing I saw was my mom and dad.

"Are you OK?"

"What happened?"

"How is your arm?"

"Do you want water?"

I looked at them sleepily. 

"I am fine," was my answer before falling into another dreamless sleep.

Ben's Pov

I was bandaged up and my parents came and everything was fine until I remembered about Mike. After a little pleading, I went to his room. He woke up right when I came in.

"Hi," I said

He looked at me confused. The doctor was talking to Mike's mother. 

"He is going to be just fine, but we will need to keep him here for a few more days."

Mike's mother dabbed her red puffy eyes. 

"But-" The doctor continued, "We are not sure, but due to the impact of the fall, he might have lost his memory."

Mike's mother gasped.

"We are not sure, but there is not a high chance so don't worry."

I turned back to Mike, having heard enough. 

"Hi, Mike." I tried, again.

He furrowed his eyebrows, what he does when he is confused.

"Who are you?"

"Mike. Mike, I'm Ben!"

"Ben? Who's Ben?"

"Me, I am Ben."

"Who is Ben?" He said again

My heart was beating so fast. He did not remember me? How could he not remember me?

Just then he laughed.

He has gone crazy I thought. Normal Mike is now gone. Crazy Mike that does not remember his best friend is now here.

Mike laughed harder.

"Ben."

I looked up

"Haha." He laughed weakly, "I pranked you!"

"You remember me?"

"Of course I do!"

"I hate you, Mike."

"You should have seen the look on your face!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for my daily heart attack."

"No problem." he smiled.

Then the doctor came. 

"I see you have not lost your memory after all."

Mike smiled. His mother came and embraced him. I smiled and went to find Erica.

Erica's Pov

I sat down on my bed, my arm throbbing. Every time I moved it, it jolted pain through my body. My parents both came but sat far away from each other. This is probably the first time in years they have been in the same room. They are divorced you see. Ever since I can remember. Mike was across from me, and before they closed the door I could see his mother crying and hugging him. I heard in the distance Zoe's parents asking her questions and making sure she was alright. I looked at my parents. They were glaring at each other. Why did they even come if they weren't even going to see if I was OK? I looked out the window, hoping for a distraction.

"Hey, Erica!"

"Oh. Hi Ben."

"How are you doing?"

"As good as I can after coming out of an earthquake."

He laughed.

We started talking about random things. I blushed a little. I wondering if he remembered my breakdown in the earthquake when were stuck together. How I poured my whole story out to him. He looked at me and blushed as well. Ya, he probably did. 

The doctor came in a little while later and told my parents that visiting hours were over. I did not really care that much. My mother was very loving and caring but whenever she was with my dad it was as if she was a different person. My dad was funny and always made me laugh at his cluelessness, but like my mom, transformed into another person when he saw her. They left and the doctor advised Ben to go back to his room to say bye to his parents.

"I am not going back home?" He asked

"Well, the doctors want you to stay a little more to work on your arm. "

I glanced at his arm and saw that it was wrapped up tightly. He nodded his head and walked to his room. I sighed as he left. I wished he could stay. After 20 minutes he came back though. He sat on my bed. I leaned my head on his shoulder, and he put his head on mine. I smiled. Feeling safe under his protection I finally fell into a deep sleep.

Sorry again for the late update. As you probably know we had a contest for writing this chapter, but no one entered, unfortunately. To make it up to everyone the next chapter will come out tomorrow in the morning. Stay tuned!!

-chausafi813