II

Ben's Pov

"Welcome to Dragon High, students!" Boomed our principal, Mr. Smith.

The assembly started and I listened closely. Mike of course was doing nothing. He looked around the room and stopped suddenly. 

"Hey, Ben."

"Ya?"

"Look. Who is that?"

I peered over to where Mike was pointing and saw a the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She had dark raven hair and icy blue eyes that pierced my heart.

"I have no idea." I gawked .

I now had my full attention on her rather then the principle.

"Could it be-" I started

"-Erica-" Mike finished

"No freaking way!"  He said.

"Major glow-up she had there." He added

I just stared. We were not really friends last year. I mean we knew each other but never really talked. Also she kind of did not like to talk. She really only had like one or two friends. 

"She is going to be popular, I can tell."

My heart sunk. Mike always got the popular girls. How could I stand a chance? I sighed. 

Best day of school ever.

A few minutes later the assembly was wrapped up and we were shown our classes.

 I kept staring at Erica, taking in every detail of her face. She caught me staring and I quickly looked away. As I did I bumped into the wall in front of me and landed hard on my behind. Mike laughed as Erica walked away. I face turned red as I quickly stood up.

At lunch I sat next to Mike of course, who sat next to a bunch of girls.

"See Erica?" He asked

I shook my head

"Oh. I think I see her, is that her on the table over there." He wondered

"That's her all right."

On the table sitting and eating her lunch was Erica. Empty chairs surrounded her. She was the only one on the table. She did not seem to mind though.

"Wow," I said

"I know!" Mike replied 

"Who eats salad these days?!" He asked

I rolled my eyes

"Well I am going to sit with her either way," he said and walked off

The girls he used to be sitting with looked sad as he left. I gave them a smile and they looked away in disgust. 

That's the way it has always been. Mike gets the girls, I get the good grades. He is the attractive, handsome one, I'm the nerd.

I gave another sigh and went to join Mike. Erica and him were talking. Well more like Mike was asking questions and Erica was forking her salad and giving him death stares. Close enough.

Erica looked confused as I sat down.

"You are Ben, am I right?" Her lips were pink and bright and her voice was so sweet. I watched as her blue eyes-

"Dude, she is talking to you," Mike said elbowing me

Oh right. Here comes the hard part. Talking.

"Y-yes I am Ben," I stuttered

She looked at her watch and then stuffed her half-eaten salad inside her bag

"Well nice meeting you, I have to go, bye."

"Bye," I said dreamily. 

It might have been a light flicker or something strange, but I swear I saw her smile as she left the cafeteria doors.