VI

Ben's Pov

I saw Erica perched on top of a sturdy piece of ground. It was very high and she stood up tall on top of it, looking for the exit. It was beyond my imagination how she got up there. She had to be very agile.

She saw me and hopped down landing gracefully.

"Hi."

"Hi."

She looked at me and seemed to forget we were in the middle of the earthquake.

As if to remind us we heard a deafening BANG and the room shook harder.

People were screaming everywhere. I saw a rock smash down behind me. I ran to a corner so I could focus on what's ahead of me. Erica followed.

Just then a piece of the wall caved in, hit a banister, that tore out of the ceiling, and all of that landing where we were standing. Erica shoved me into the corner and shielded me with her body.

I pushed her away but everything had already fallen.

She turned around and I saw a gash in her arm. Blood dripped out. I took off my shirt and wrapped it over her wound. Then I looked for a way out.

I realized we were stuck. Just like Mike.

Oh no.

"Ben!" Erica called

Part of the ceiling caved in and landed hard on my head. I crumbled to the ground and my body hurt everywhere.

"Oh, Ben." Erica cried

She looked at me and I saw something deep inside her eyes. I would not let myself believe it though. She was with Mike.

Then she looked at me and confirmed it.

"I like you. I like you a lot." Tears ran down her flushed face.

"Me too." I managed

"But you are with Mike," I added

"Not really I never really liked him. You see my mom and dad wanted me to have friends. I hated making friends though. But when Mike came over I thought it would be easier to friend him. My parents would be happy and I could tolerate one boy at least. But I liked you. He showed me many signs that I had a crush on me but I pretend not to notice. I wanted you instead. But you never looked me in the eye. Never talked to me. Never even tried. So I thought I could get through this year with Mike so my parents would be happy, but mostly I kept him as my friend because sometimes you would come if he came."

She paused

"You liked me all along." Her voice was like medicine to me. The pain went away as I listen to her angel voice.

"Yes, yes I did. I was never was really happy with Mike but I pretend to be. My parents were satisfied though, so that was enough."

I sat up and hugged her. She held me tight.

We were both thinking the same thing though.

How will we get out?!

Mike's Pov

What the heck is taking that dude so long? I was stuck here and very hungry. Very very hungry. I hoped he was not hurt. Rocks fell from who knows where and soon I was covered in blood and bruises. It hurt like hell and tears fell down my face slowly.

Crying never helps anything, though so I tried to push the broken pieces of the school away, so I could get out. After a lot of pushing, I got tired. I looked up and realized maybe I could climb this.

I slowly climbed up,

and fell.

I tried again,

And once more.

I finally made it. I was able to see over the top. I saw Ben trapped in a corner holding Erica. I did not have time to feel jealous. I screamed with my bloody hoarse throat,

"Ben!"

"Erica!"

They heard me and looked around.

I waved my arms to attract attention.

Oops, wrong move.

Without the support of my hands, I fell backward. I tried to grab something.

But all I grabbed was air.

I fell and hit hard on my back. I started to blackout and the last thing I saw was a huge rock about to fall on top of me.

So this is how it ends...

I saw red. Then white. Then black. Then nothing.