Miss Child

My day starts at noon, I haven't slept in late for so long. Lunch with Pepper is today, I would have missed the reservation if Peter didn't wake me up.

So, now I'm running downstairs and trying to put my shoes on. Bad idea, I know. Thankfully, at the bottom of the stairs was Spider-Man himself. In his civilian form.

“Pete! Watch out.” I scream as I come crashing down. Landing in the arms of Queens's very own Kid Spider. “Thank you, Peter. I love you.” I leave after pecking his cheek.

Pepper should have already left. She told me she didn't want the car ride there to be awkward, so she drove herself, and Happy is going to drive me.

Happy pulls into the parking lot, and I can't help but think he's got the wrong place. “Happy, please tell me she didn't want to do this at an ultra-fancy restaurant.”

He laughs and opens my door. “No, seriously, I'm dressed business casual, for a restaurant with a dress code of semi-formal.”

“Have fun in there.” He pulls away, leaving me completely stranded. 'Wonderful, just freaking wonderful.'

With a sigh, I head into the establishment. I tell them my reservation, and they lead me to Pepper.

“Good afternoon Morgan.” She smiles at me sweetly.
“Good afternoon,” I reply with an equally sweet smile.

“I already ordered food. It should be out soon.” It's silent as I wait for her to explain everything.

“I guess you just want to cut to the chase huh?” I nod.

“Okay, after you were born, I was a mess. I expected Tony to pay me to leave the city. Back then he just didn't seem like the type of man to step up to this responsibility.

I wanted to force him to be a better man. I know that sounds so dumb now, but I was young. The moment I left I felt miserable, however, I was also too stubborn to go back.”

The food comes, but I don't have much of an appetite. “That is so ridiculous,” I state bluntly.

“I know, I know. But today I brought you here, not to ask you to forgive my actions, but to ask you to get to know the new me. Because the girl who left you isn't me anymore.”

My vision becomes blurry. I've always been a firm believer that people can change completely over time. I'd be going against my personal beliefs not to give her a chance.

“Okay, Pepper. I'll push aside my previous thoughts, in favor of forming a new relationship with you.”

Her eyes open wide, obviously grateful, she grabs my hand and squeezes. “Thank you so much, Morgan. I promise to be the best mother I can, despite leaving you.”

Moments fly by as we eat our meal in peace. Regardless of my previous statements, I've still got a long way to go before I can consider her a true mother.

“So, why did you come back?” Pepper sighs, “I saw on the news that you and your father were missing. It made me rethink everything. When your dad came back to earth, I had to go see him, especially since you were declared dead.

He didn't want anything to do with me at first, but eventually, he let me in. Of course, that was only due to his moment of weakness. Without you or Peter, he sort of lost his purpose.

We got pregnant and married about 4 months later. When Howard was born, I knew your father was going to have it rough, but that didn't stop him from telling Howie your story and night almost every week. You're practically Howie's idol.”

I can feel tears start to form again, I can't wait to meet Howie.

“I miss him every day.” It feels weird being vulnerable around her.
“I do too.”
“He really did love me, right?”
“Of course he did sweetheart. More than the world.”
“Poor choice of words.”
“What?”
“He sacrificed himself for the world, instead of staying with me.”
“Morgan, he saved the world, so that you would have a world to live in.”
“I want to go home soon.” I sounded just like a child.
“We will. Would you like to drive home with me?” I nod.

After a while, we get the bill and head home. I distract myself but asking about my mother's nickname.

“About that, I was pepper-sprayed while trying to get to Tony himself. There was something I had to tell him, not someone who wasn't likely to tell him before it was weeks later. He just started calling me Pepper.”

It takes all my willpower not to cry all the way home.

I wait until I'm in my room, changing, to let go.

And like the amazing person he is, Peter comes in to comfort me.