seven

HAYDEN
**
***
*****

The second we stepped inside, Casey's body has gotten tense. Her eyes were cold as she scanned the room, her upper lip curling up in disgust whenever she would spot a couple across the room. I could tell she was analyzing the room and the people in it, getting a good idea of just what she would be in for tonight, and I didn't blame her—this place reeked of negative energy.

I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her to my side while she guided me to a buffet of disgusting food. It didn't even look cooked.

"Those two over there are my uncle and step-aunt," Casey whispered to me, pushing her blonde hair over her shoulder before grabbing an empty plate. "My aunt left him when she caught them in his office together."

I raised an eyebrow, watching as she put as little food as possible on her plate. I followed suit, sending polite nods to nosy people watching.

"The three old women huddled over the wine would be my three grandmothers: sisters," she continued, sending a bitter smile to them when they waved. "They've been helping with some very illegal gambling activities my father's been doing for the last couple of years. No one can track down enough evidence, of course, because everyone is paid for their mouths to keep shut."

"What if they don't take the money?" I curiously asked, noticing the way her eyebrow raised as she stared at me.

Oh.
...Oh.

Jesus Christ.

"Then, there's my other uncle's twin brothers," Casey forced out, her eyes squeezing shut in utter disgust at the mere thought of them. "Just... don't talk to them, please. They're bad news and will do anything to get what they want."

I frowned, stopping her from piling caviar on her plate as she got lost in her own thoughts. Casey looked up at me, her eyebrows pinched together.

"If you're feeling uncomfortable, we can leave, Casey," I reminded her softly, tilting her head up. "You aren't obligated to stay at this party."

"If I don't then my parents are going to guilt-trip me for the next month about it," Casey softly spoke, frowning. "This is how the corrupted rich work, Hayden. I need to stay on their good side and I would advice you to do the same. I don't want something bad to happen to you because you said the wrong thing to them."

I sighed, scrapping some caviar onto my plate so she wouldn't have to worry about not finishing that.

"Alright," I caved, giving her waist a soft squeeze. "What kind of sushi do you like?"

Casey pursed her lips, turning her attention to me. "What?"

"I figured you'd want to talk about something else to distract you," I said with a small smile, guiding her to an empty table and sitting next to her. "So?"

Casey bit back a smile, grabbing a fork and beginning to slowly eat. "I love Philadelphia Rolls. Oh, and Chicken Teriyaki Rolls. Give me a plate of those two and you've got me forever in your debt."

I chuckled, grabbing the glass of red wine in the middle of the table and pouring her a glass. I grabbed the water jug for myself, pouring some.