twenty-nine

HAYDEN
**
***
*****

"But, Dad—"

"No."

"I didn't even—"

"No."

"But—"

"Hayden, if I have to say no one more time I'll make sure you sleep in the basement instead."

I groaned, looking in Casey's direction to find her blushing, shaking her head at me not to fight against his decision. She looked at my father next, who looked far from impressed with the two of us. I rubbed a hand down my face.

This was so unfair.

"You two told us you'd be out last night," I muttered, my face still beet red.

"We were out," Dad replied. "Then we came home for two seconds, then left again because a certain son of mine traumatized his poor mother."

My mouth fell open in shock. "Did you not hear me apologize a million times the second she got home?"

"That doesn't erase what she heard—what we heard. Until you and Casey go check out that apartment tomorrow and hear if you got it, she is sleeping in the guest bedroom." He moved his stare to her this time. "If I hear either of your doors open, I'll kill you. You're not my kid, Casey, but you're still family. I won't hesitate to chase your ass around the house, either."

Casey flushed red and nodded her head quickly, then stared at her fidgeting hands.

"And as for you," Dad said, pointing at me. I sighed. "You're lucky you're getting an apartment tour tomorrow otherwise I would have beaten your ass. I know how people need to look... professional for those things."

I rolled my eyes just as Mom pulled him back, glaring at her husband. He noticed and raised an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to argue with his word.

She normally did that.

"You need to chill out, Kade," she said harshly to him, pushing him closer to the bedroom door. "You've been giving them this lecture for almost 30 minutes. Might I remind you how you were as a teenager?"

Dad grunted but didn't say anything, crossing his arms. Mom hummed, her point obviously proven. "That's what I thought."

She turned to us.

"I'm over it," she said. "I had a few drinks and realized that it's not your fault for thinking we'd be gone longer. We should have texted."

Casey nodded her head while I rubbed the back of my neck.

"However," Mom continued, "I do agree with your father when I say you two should be separated."

My eyes widened. "Mom! You know we would never do anything like that if you two were home!"

"I know," Mom agreed, nodding. She stood in front of me and she kissed my cheek. "But it would give your father a chance to realize that he's overreacting, considering we were only in the house for not even five seconds."