Chapter 16

DAY 13

Jayme's POV

I got up and went to the other side of the pool to do my flop. I looked to Ian, I was nervous about this but he gave me a reassuring nod. I messed with my neon pink bikini top. Ian told me that they would end the prank when he would say, "And that's why we use..." for the sponsor.

"You got this!" Damien shouted out, probably thinking I was nervous about the flop. I took a deep breath.

"You know, everyone keeps getting mad at me for not knowing what the word 'apocalypse' means, I mean jeez, it's not the END OF THE WORLD!" I said and my team cheered me on.

"Mom told me that I put the 'fun' in funeral so I know my funeral's going to be one GRAVE affair!" I said and they cheered me on again, I took my "mermaid breath" and quickly took a few steps back, doing a cartwheel into the pool, landing right on my stomach and face! The sound of the slap made me cringe because it freaking hurt!

I could hear their cheers from above the water, but it became quieter as my arms pushed me to the bottom. I made sure to stay completely still at the bottom of the pool, I even face my body up so they could see that my eyes weren't open. Could they even see me through this red water? If not, they could see my neon swimsuit.

I slightly hear a deep voice, mentioning something about stealing Shayne's joke, that voice must be Ian. I hear more claps and cheers as if I was going to emerge after having my plot foiled. But I didn't move at all. There were a few moments of silence, both from me and above the surface.

"Jay! You can come up now!" A higher-pitched voice yelled to me, Sarah probably. I could hear the group all getting up and taking their feet out of the pool.

"Jay?" I hear a deep voice say, but I couldn't tell who it was as the vibrations from people's voices become distorted through the water.

I think it's only been around 45 seconds under water and I was fine. But I could hear the commotion from above, the vibrations of people's feet running around the pool surrounded me.

I knew the prank was halfway over when I heard multiple people shouting my name from above the surface as well as another conversation. It was something like, "not enough time for that" or something or that sort.

Not moments later, I heard a body dive into the water, I sense their arm motions and force in their desperation to get to me. It took a few seconds but I soon felt the diver's arms wrap around me. As we near the surface, I can hear whose voice belongs to who more. I take the moment to take in a little bit of water so that I have some to spit out when we do the fake CPR.

I heard Damien's voice ring out beside me, he's the one who dived in!

Oh, no... Damien...

-----

Damien's POV

"Jay!" I shouted along with everyone else.

"Get Sophie and get a life preserver!" Ian shouted over to the crew, they all dropped what they were doing and started to find ways to help.

"We don't have time to wait for the life preserver!" I exclaim. I rip off my shirt and dive into the water, I open my eyes under the water but it's hard to see through this red stuff, I catch sight of her neon pink swimsuit and start swimming towards her, as fast as I possibly could. Her eyes were closed and she was motionless. I wrapped my arms around her and started back up towards the top. I emerge out of the water with her in my arms and I try to lift her head above the water as best I can.

"Take her, take her!" I shout as I swam to the side. Shayne took her from my hands and gently laid her on the ground next to the poolside.

"Sarah, call 911!" Sophie instructed as she came running over to Jay.