𝟐𝟑. 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄, 𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐁𝐎𝐋𝐃

(23 : WITH THY BLACK MANTLE; TILL

(23 : WITH THY BLACK MANTLE; TILL . . .
STRANGE LOVE, GROWN BOLD)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

      SOMEHOW, JAMES ALREADY KNEW ABOUT the Room of Requirement, which didn't really come as shock to Juliet considering he was part of the infamous Marauders. An odd tension had settled between the two that morning — both of them seemed to be balanced on the tightrope of not-quite-friendship. Neither of them wanted to be the one who slipped, plunging their relationship into the abyss beneath. There was no safety net. Whilst Juliet simply didn't want to risk falling to her death, James would take the leap of faith in an instant.

Flopping down onto one of the couches, James took in his surroundings. After much internal debate, Juliet settled on having a room with two couches, a fireplace and a shaggy rug. With both red and silver trimmings, it was equal parts Gryffindor and Slytherin. It felt oddly intimate, but it was like the two had never been further apart at the same time.

"So . . . " James wanted nothing more than to break the terse silence between them. "How did you find this place? I never realised anyone else knew about it."

"Because of you, actually." Juliet let out a breathy laugh at the irony. "I was studying for O.W.L.s when you enchanted all the pages in the library books blank. Merlin, I wanted to murder all four of you for that. Anyway, I may or may not have had a meltdown outside of old Barnabas out there because I couldn't find anywhere peaceful to study and then I found this place," she recalled, unsure where to put her hands before resting them on her lap. "I heard about the Come and Go Room and put two and two together when the door had disappeared the next day."

"This shouldn't be so awkward," blurted James. "Nothing needs to change because I like you."

But everything had changed, Juliet thought bitterly.

"It's easier said than done, James. You — you feel things differently to me. I can barely make friends without screwing that up, never mind fall in love in a few months," she ranted, annoyed at herself more than anything. "Not to mention that the rest of the world thinks I'm engaged to someone else, so I can't even get to know you outside of this room. And I do — need to get to know you, that is. Because right now I feel like we skipped a lot of steps and I need you to know what you're getting into if you get involved with me in any capacity."

"Bl—Regulus," he began carefully, "I take it that you don't have feelings for him?"

Juliet blew out her cheeks. "He is — was — a friend, that's it. But that's really not a factor for me right now. You may think you know me, but I know you don't."