𝟓𝟗. 𝐔𝐍𝐁𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇

(59 : UNBRUISED YOUTH

(59 : UNBRUISED YOUTH . . .
WITH UNSTUFF'D BRAIN)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

     COME THE END OF JULY, Lily and James had a son and — in typical Potter fashion — he arrived later than planned and seemed to leave his mother utterly exhausted most of the time. It ended up being a home birth at Potter Manor with a trusted healer from the Order of the Phoenix supporting the new parents through the labour, which was a challenge in itself and not at all how the couple had envisioned the birth. Despite the prophecy that hung over their heads like the Sword of Damocles, the two had instantly fallen in love with the emerald-eyed, messy-haired child. In the midst of war, he was their silver lining.

     Only a few days after the birth, James was faced with his first challenge — looking after the baby alone for a few hours. Both of them had agreed that the birth of their son required sacrifices, meaning Lily was going to resign from her training course at St Mungo's to focus on protecting her family from Lord Voldemort's wrath. At the best of times, her relationship with James Potter was rocky, but they were usually in agreement where their son was concerned.

     James was enthusiastically showing a golden snitch to his son when there was a sudden knock on the door. Sighing, he lifted the uninterested baby from the cot and babbled, "I think that's your Uncle Padfoot. Are you excited to see him again, Little Prongs?"

     Little Prongs yawned. James snorted, only for it to become more of a choking sound when opened the door to discover a rather irritated Juliet Fawley.

     As if realising he had been silent for too long, James spluttered, "Alright, Fawley?"

"Oh, we're back to Fawley now?" Juliet teased, her initial annoyance melting away at the sight of the flustered boy. "Well, Potter, I've been told you need some help babysitting. As it turns out, I'm sucker for puppy dog eyes and Sirius is scarily good at them. I hope you don't mind the change of plans, Sirius was called out last minute. Death Eater business, I think."

"Right. Uh, thanks for coming then." James opened the door further. "Come in."

Juliet stepped over the threshold and tilted her head at her ex, amused. "Breathe, Jamie. I only bite if you ask."

✧࿐ ཾ✧

     Potter Manor was surprisingly bare compared to the last time she had been there — not that she wanted to think about her last memory of the house. More than eight months later, Juliet's anger towards James had simmered into acceptance, but that didn't mean she was particularly eager to relive their break up. Especially not when James stood before her with a son, fully healed and moved on.