𝟑𝟏. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐁𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑

(31 : THE LEAN ABHORRED MONSTER

(31 : THE LEAN ABHORRED MONSTER. . .
KEEP THEE HERE IN DARK)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

SUNLIGHT FILTERED THROUGH THE WINDOWS, stirring Juliet from what was a fitful sleep. Throughout the night, she found herself waking up in a cold sweat, the memories of sharp claws and even sharper teeth permanently etched into the back of her eyelids. There was a small mercy in it finally being morning — or at least she thought so as she groggily pushed herself into a sitting position on the hospital bed.

     "Oh! You're awake, dear." Madam Pomfrey hurried to her bedside, which was already scattered with a couple of 'get well soon' cards. "Be careful not to overexert yourself, even potions can only do so much. Now, do you remember what happened? You briefly came to when I was wrapping your bandages last night, but you were hardly coherent."

     Looking down, Juliet noticed there were large bandages wrapped around her abdomen. "I remember," she replied shortly, a twinge of bitterness in her tone. "Am I a —"

     "Oh goodness no," said the matron. "You came in with a mild concussion, bruised ribs and minor bleeding. I'll provide you with an ointment for the bruises that you'll have to apply for the next week or so and I'd like to hold you here for observation the rest of the day. Whilst the source of the bleeding did seem to be scratches, they were far too small and too easily healed to be from a," her voice quieted and her eyes shifted to the only other occupied bed where Remus Lupin was still asleep, "werewolf."

     Her sleep-addled brain barely latched onto what the woman was implying. Remus Lupin was a werewolf.

     In an effort to hide her discomfort at the revelation, Juliet focused on keeping her voice even as she inquired, "W—who brought me in?"

     "I did," a new voice answered from the doorway. "I hope you don't mind that I'm here. I thought we could talk. James wanted to come, but today's the last Quidditch practice before the first game and he's captain, so . . ."

Glancing between the odd pair, Madam Pomfrey sensed she was intruding on something. "I'll be in my office if you need anything, Miss Fawley." Before scurrying off, the woman sternly added, "And Mr Black, please refrain from hexing every Slytherin you see, especially if they're already in the hospital wing."

"No promises, Poppy." Giving the matron a mock salute, the dark-haired boy dragged a chair as close as possible to Juliet's bed. "How's my favourite Slytherin doing? When Prongs saw you —"

Comprehension sparked, lighting Juliet's eyes. "Anteoculatia. Prongs."

Sirius furrowed his brows. "What?"