[🍬] Thirty

Jeongguk doesn't anticipate going out for dinner with Taehyung and Yoongi. Truth be told, the only thing he can think about is Jin's annoying face and the pictures he has of Jimin. The revelation has left a seed planted deep within his brain, composed to fabricate everlasting reminders of their current situation. It's heedless in the sense that Jeongguk can't even properly function physically or mentally. He's constantly zoning out and biting on his nails like a rabbit would a carrot.

"Bun, did you hear me?" Jeongguk moves his gaze from his and the blond's tangled legs to look him in his eyes.

"Sorry, what did you say?" Jeongguk asks.

Jimin sighs quietly. He turns the television off and places the remote to the side. "I said that if you don't want to go out, we don't have to. I can call it off. I know they'll understand."

And Jeongguk really considers this, although he feels terribly while doing so. He isn't really sure just how much fun he'll be but he doesn't want to disappoint Jimin.

"I want you to be happy. We don't have to call it off, Jimin. You're excited." Jeongguk does what he can to encourage Jimin despite the monotonous ring to his voice. However the boy can read right through him.

"Is it about Jin? I promise I'm not worried about it, at least not right now. Try not to think about it for tonight, okay? I haven't exactly said no to any of his proposals so I don't think he'll post any of them." Jeongguk's bland expression twists in a way that Jimin feels he's been close to seeing before. But it's much more prominent - especially the deep curve in his eyebrows.

"Proposals? What proposals?" Jeongguk prods.

Jimin untangles his legs from around Jeongguk's and swings them over the couch. He plants his face into his hands. His body is heavy yet somehow deflating all at once.

"You don't want to talk about it? Sure. But I want to. I'm trying to help you out but you keep pushing me away. You've been ever since we got in the car." Jeongguk does his best to maintain his polished composure but each time the blond relents, it gets that much harder.

"But can't you see that I'm fine? I'm not worried so you shouldn't be worried, either." Jimin stands from the couch but Jeongguk reaches out and latches onto his wrist before it's too late.

It's quiet, especially now that there's no white noise emitting from the TV. They stay like this for a moment as they catch their breath. Jimin's head is hanging low, making it impossible for Jeongguk to read the boy's expression. But the next words that leave his mouth happen to be explanation enough.

"I never said I needed your help..."

The words sheathe within Jeongguk's heart just as a blade would. And it actually feels like it stops beating entirely. He isn't sure why it hurts so much, to be shut down like this. Jimin's wrist slips from his fingers and all he can do is watch while the blond walks out the front door like he was never here.

Is he being selfish, or maybe even pushy? Jeongguk is doing what he believes is right, but maybe it was just wrong enough to drive Jimin out of his embrace. And it stings. He can feel it on his skin - the frustration. It's caustic, searing. And yet he can't see anything while he twists his arms for inspection. Nothing is there.

Jeongguk moves his fingers into his hair, pulling until the action burns his scalp. The only thing he can wonder while he slumps back into the couch, exhaling heavily is how he seems to be so good at fucking everything up.

-

Jeongguk doesn't realize how late it is when he wakes up, and most definitely fails to remember falling asleep on the couch. His head throbs, targeted more specifically between his furrowed eyebrows. His fingers dig into the bridge of his nose and he propels them in a circular motion, attempting to alleviate some of the pain.