Warning

"I can't believe you got back together with him," Taylor said slamming her locker shut. "Did the past few days mean nothing?"

"Well, everyone deserves a second chance, right?" I replied shrugging.

"And if he breaks your heart again, are you going to give him a third chance? Face it Dani, Damon is a cheater. Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"People can change."

She snorted in response. "Yeah, sure." Her eyes suddenly narrowed. "Speak of the devil."

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped around my waist.

"Hey," I said turning slightly to meet his lips.

Taylor made a disgusted noise in the back of her throat before walking off. Halfway down the hall, she paused and made the I'm-watching-you gesture before continuing on her way.

"Did I do something?" Damon asked.

"No, she's just being dramatic."

"I've been meaning to talk to you actually. It's pack stuff, but as Luna you should know this. There have been some wolves wandering close to the territory. We believe that's it's just a small pack passing through."

"Is that a problem?"

"As long as they aren't rogues."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Rogues?"

"Wolves who go against the rules set by the Council. They tend to cause havoic and leave a bloody trail wherever the go. The real danger is when they start forming packs. Get enough rogues to actually work and agree with each other, and you're looking at a pack war. No rules. No mercy. Just blood and death."

"Do you think these wolves are rogues?"

"If they are, they shouldn't be much of a threat. Any wolf or pack would have to be idiots to challenge the strongest pack in North America. Until the threat is clear, I want a guard with you at all times."

"You don't think I can take care of myself?" I asked crossing my arms.

"No, but against a grown wolf, you're as threatening as a kitten."

I playfully punched his arm. "Don't you think it would be weird if a grown man was following me around?"

"I meant someone like Luke or James."

"What about Alyx?"

"Don't get me wrong, she can hold her own in a fight, but her chances against a wolf are the same as yours. Don't worry about it much. I'm sure it's just passing wolves."

We entered the cafeteria and went our separate ways. It took too much effort to try to combine the two tables. Alyx didn't like Olivia. Damon and Daniel despised each other. Everyone from my table disliked Issac, and the list goes on.

I started down the lunch line when a tray suddenly slammed in front of me.

"You're Dani?" The girl asked raising one of her perfect eyebrows. She was a few inches taller than me. Long strawberry blonde hair framed her face in large curls.

"Yeah."

"I mean I understand why he left you, but I don't understand why he came back."

"Excuse me?" Who was this girl, and what did I do to piss her off?

"Oh, how rude of me not to introduce myself. I'm Lexi Adams."

My grip on my tray tightened. "You're Lexi?"

"Did I stutter?" She smirked. "You know it must be a shame to be a mate and not fulfill your basic duties. Damon came to me because lets face it, you're dull. There isn't a single thing about you that stands out."

"Obviously, there's something he likes because he chose me and not you."

I abandoned my tray and made my way to my table.

"What did Damon do this time?" Taylor asked when I slammed my bag on the table.

"It wasn't him," I sighed. "I ran into-."

I gasped as cold liquid and ice spilled on my head, down my blouse, and gathered in a puddle on my skirt.

"Whoops, sorry," Lexi said feigning innocence. "I tripped."

The entire cafeteria was quiet and the tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I shoved my chair back and raced from the cafeteria. I locked myself in one of the bathroom stalls before breaking down.

"Dani?" Alyx called. A soft knock on my stall door followed. "Open the door, Dani. We both know a lock won't keep me out."

I couldn't help the small smile, but I kept the door locked.

"Come on Dani, don't let her get to you. If it makes you feel better, Matthew was ready to rip her throat out."

"Matthew?" He didn't strike me as the violent type. He was the type of guy who joked around and was always sweet when I was around, almost like a little brother. I couldn't imagine him hurting anyone.

"Well all of them were pretty pissed, but we're a family, and family looks out for each other. Once you became Damon's mate, you became apart of the family."

Family. A word I couldn't use to describe the foster homes I was in because they were all missing one thing. They didn't care for each other. A pack full of strangers who were diverse in their own ways were willing to welcome me with open arms.

I slid the bolt to the side and opened the door. Alyx pulled me into a hug despite the fact that I was wet and sticky.

"We should probably go home and change," she said dropping her arms.

"What about class?"

"We just say we got sick."

Alyx drove us home in Luke truck. He didn't want soda stains on his seats, but after my pleas and some threats from Alyx, he reluctantly gave up his keys.

I sighed as stepped out of the shower. Steam covered the mirrors and drifted around the room. Alyx was right. A nice long shower was just what I needed.

I opened the door and nearly died from fright at the figure standing outside.

"Jesus Christ, Damon," I gasped holding the towel tighter to me. "Don't scare me like that." It then occurred to me that I was practically naked. "And get out!" I moved to shut the door but his foot blocked it.

"But you smell so nice, Dani." He pulled me to him causing me to let out a squeak of surprise. His face buried in the crook of my neck, sniffing my hair.

"Coconut," he mumbled to himself.

"Um, Damon, maybe this could wait."

He ignored me and nibbled lightly on my mark. I expected it to hurt, but gasped as pleasure raced through my entire body. He continued attacking the same spot. I felt my grip on the towel loosen. A red light was going off in my head, but I was too high on cloud nine to care.

Suddenly the door slammed open snapping me back into reality. Damon growled at the intruder. I looked around him to see a winded Alyx. She leaned against the doorway in an attempt to catch her breath.

"Emergency....Mr......Grey..."

"Spit it out, Alyx," Damon barked.

"Mr. Grey's house......is....on fire."

Comment and Vote!