Remember the Fallen

Damon's P.O.V

"Today, we remember those who bravely gave their lives in battle against the rogues. Their valiant efforts are the reason our enemy is no longer a threat." I looked out at the crowd of mourners. Some smiled sadly while others sobbed quietly. "However, happiness is not the only feeling in our hearts. We lost brothers, sisters, loved ones, and allies. Tonight we release their spirits, so that they can run among the stars with the Goddess."

One by one the pyres were set aflame. The ashes would be collected later and given to their respective families.

A small reception followed. I would have preferred to seclude myself in a corner drowning my sorrows in alcohol, but as the alpha I had to offer my support to my members.

"He fought bravely," I assured Vanessa. She nodded and clung to the decorative urn as if someone would take away the only piece of Matthew she had left. "Take as much time as you need to mourn."

Her lower lip trembled, and she sniffed. "Thank you, Alpha." She bowed her head before disappearing into the crowd.

"How are you holding up?" Kat asked.

"I'm surrounded by death and sadness. What do you think?"

She shrugged and swirled the liquid around in her glass. I plucked the glass from her hand and passed it on to one of the passing servants.

"What the hell?"

"You're pregnant," I scolded. "You shouldn't be drinking."

She huffed in annoyance. "I think you're doing well in my opinion. After my first battle, I was afraid to face my pack. I thought it was my fault that so many had died. But such is our life. An alpha has to remain strong in public to keep up his pack's morals." Her eyes suddenly narrowed. "We have unwanted company."

My eyes scanned the crowd, and I saw a young woman in a white blouse and black pencil skirt. Two men in dark suits stood behind her. They would have blended into the crowd if it wasn't for the fact that they moved stiffly, and their eyes were darting back and forth at every person that passed them.

"More rogues?" I questioned.

"Worse than that?" Kat hissed. "They're members of the council."

The Council? What do they want?

"Can you bring them to the meeting room without causing a scene."

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "I'll try."

While she went to get the trespassers, I pulled James to the side and told him to take charge while I met with the council members.

"Alpha Masen, how kind of you to finally join us," the woman said when I entered. "I am Natasha Clark, Commander of the first division for the Rogue Regulation Department. I would like to offer my sympathies for your loss. The Luna will be missed."

I bit down on the inside of my cheek to keep from blurting out. She wouldn't be dead if your idiots had done your job.

I crossed my arms. "What's so important that the Council shows up unannounced?"

"Straight to the point I see. We understand that your pack engaged in warfare with rogues who were being lead by Roman Walker. Do you deny these claims?"

"No."

"The Council is asking you to hand over Roman and any other affiliates with his pack so that they may be judged for their crimes."

"I can't do that."

She seemed surprised by my response. "You do realize the punishment for defying the Council's orders?"

"I said I can't turn them over, not that I won't. My pack has already judged those in question for their crimes."

"I see. What about the vitium, Olivia Dawson?"

"Olivia was a hostage," Kat replied. "Her actions are a result of her want to stay alive. She is now under the protection of the Midnight Runners. As her Alpha, I will hold her responsible for any future convictions."

"If that is all, Commander Clark." I opened the door. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave. As you can see, my pack is mourning."

"Very well. Less work for my department then." Her annoyed expression said otherwise. "I apologize for taking up time." She paused in the doorway and turned to Kat. "Miss Dawson is still under suspicion, so the Council will be checking in frequently."

Kat smirked. "Looking forward to it."

The three exited, and I shut the door behind them.

"Since when do you come to Olivia's defense?" I asked.

"Tch, don't get the wrong idea," she scoffed. "I still hate the bitch, but I won't stand in the way of Viktor's happiness."

"I knew you had a soft side, Kat."

"Shut up before I kick your ass."

Comment and Vote