Taken

Damon's P.O.V

I paced the parlour and with very ten steps I checked my phone for a reply. The movie had ended twenty minutes ago, and it was a fifteen minute drive from here to the theater.

"Will you sit down?" Kat called from the couch. "You're pacing is making me anxious." She popped another stick of gum of her mouth.

"Isn't that your fourth piece?" I asked.

"Yeah, but something convinced me that I should probably stop using smoking as a stress reliever. Look, I know you're worried, but have a little faith. I selected the best my pack has to offer to protect Dani. If you keep worrying, you're going to get grey hair by the time your thirty. How about a game of pool to take your mind of things?"

"No."

"Why? You afraid I'm going to kick your ass?"

"Not a chance, Markovic."

"Then let's play. Where are the pool cues and balls?"

"Locked upstairs in the storage room."

"Why is it up there when the pool table is down here?" she mumbled. She got up and paused.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's just probably just some heartburn or something." She grabbed her chest as her face scrunched in pain. "Some really strong heartburn apparently."

"Kat, are you sure you're okay?" Droplets of sweat had appeared on her forehead. She looked pale and on the verge of collapsing. She wobbled and steadied herself with the couch's arm.

"Whatever it is, it's not heartburn."

I rolled my eyes. Only Kat would make a joke when she's in pain, but I guess people cope in different ways.

I helped her down to the infirmary. It was a building that was recently added on after one to many accidents during sparring and other training related injuries.

"Nothing seems to be physically wrong." The doctor removed her stethoscope earbuds and hung it back around her neck. "Has this happened before?"

Kat shook her head.

"Well, all your test came back negative, but one thing did show up. Congratulations Alpha Markovic, you're pregnant."

My jaw almost hit the floor. I looked over at Kat who refused to make eye contact.

"Doc, can you give us a minute?" I asked.

"Of course. Let me know if the pain comes back, Alpha Markovic." She slipped through an opening in the curtain leaving us in awkward silence.

Kat smiled and scratched the back of her neck. "I guess the cat's out of the bag, huh?"

"Wait, you knew?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Well, yeah. I'm four months."

"Why would you come here if you knew your were pregnant, Kat."

"Only Anton knows I'm pregnant, and I'd like to keep it that way. We both agreed it was okay to come here as long as I didn't engage in any fighting. I'm not an idiot, Damon."

"If you were smart you would have stayed in Russia."

"Well, I'm here." She threw her legs over the bedside and got up. "And I'm not leaving until we get rid of your rogue problem."

Suddenly the infirmary doors slammed open. Calm and quiet quickly became loud and chaotic.

"What's going on out there?" I wondered. I opened the curtain slightly as a nurse ran past. In the next bed, I could hear yelling in English and Russian.