Mating Season

Damon's P.O.V.

December. Snow is falling, temperatures drop drastically, and everyone is preparing for Christmas. Me, I'm trying to avoid losing my mind.

One week every year is known as Mate Week. It occurs randomly each year, so no one really knows when it is going to happen. The week has its pros and cons. It's the best time for lonely wolves to find their other halves. As for mated wolves, they experience a rush of hormones that attract them to one another. Nothing gets done as everyone sneaks off to be with their mate. Things were still tense between Dani and I. I've tried to keep my distance, but just a whiff of her scent sent my wolf into a frenzy.

I tapped my fingers idly while the Elders droned on about who knows what. I should be paying attention with rumors of wandering packs in the area, but pack matters were the last thing on my mind. All I could think of was my beautiful mate that was only one floor away. My wolf howled at the thought of finally completing the mating bond.

I sighed with relief when the meeting ended. Now to find Dani.

"Damon," my mother called as I rose. "A word please."

"Yes?"

"I'm sure you are aware what week this is. I want to make sure you are taking Danielle's feelings into consideration. Don't force her into anything."

"Mom," I groaned. "I don't need the safe sex talk."

She smiled as I refused to make eye contact and blushed. "Alright, but I'm serious Damon. Don't let your wolf take control."

"Great. Can I got now before this gets anymore awkward?"

She waved me away. I got only a few paces down the hall before a familiar scent stopped me in my tracks. The sweet smell of vanilla and rose.

"She's in the library," my wolf cheered. "Go find her!"

"Out of the question."

"Please. You know you want to. Just imagine caressing her soft skin. Picture her blushing that bright shade of pink. You can finally-."

"Dammit, pull yourself together."

My wolf growled. He'd been waiting patiently, and now he was being denied his mate. My muscle tensed as my wolf tried to take control. This is going to be a long week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I can do this anymore." I pulled at my hair as I caught another whiff of Dani's scent. I swear it has been growing stronger with each passing day. I'm beginning to lose control over my wolf.

"It's just one more day, man," Luke said. "I admire your self control."

"Shut up. You've been with Alyx all week. You literally smell like her. Even Matthew got lucky this week."

"Oh, yeah. He mated with that cute little brunette, Vanessa. He better watch out though. The girl knows how to throw a punch."

"So you think Vanessa is cute?" Alyx was leaning in the doorway, smirking. "When you stop thinking about her, you know where to find me." She winked before walking off. Luke didn't hesitate to chase after her. Great, there goes my distraction.

"Will you just go and find her?" My wolf growled impatiently. "It will make everyone happy."

"No."

"Really? No one can stand you because you lash out every time someone brings up her name. Stop denying what you are, and go find our mate."

"No."