Sanctuary

Note from the author: This chapter and the next chapter has a huge trigger warning for gun violence and miscarriage. This chapter isn't going to be completely accurate to the episode, as different people will go though different things. Also, here's some background knowledge, Meredith is not pregnant. I changed that to fit the storyline better. Another piece of background knowledge, Owen is not the chief, but this is a mistake on my part that I wanted to fix. I wanted to say that between the last few chapters is when Richard had his relapse and Derek took over. If I said Owen when regarding the chief in past chapters, I apologize, that was a huge mistake on my part. If it makes you mad that I'm changing things, then don't read. This is a fan-fic, there are going to be inconsistencies, mistakes, and things that are intentionally changed. Also remember, yes this is a all-resident-centric story, but as everyone can tell, I go into more detail with Japril, so it's more Japril-centric. Just a friendly reminder :)

April and Jackson were laying in an on-call room bed, breathing heavily, "This was great, but Sloan had been on my ass all day, so I gotta go." Jackson said, then gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"But I don't want you to leave." April said, she put her bottom lip out.

"I have to, I'll see you later though, okay? I promise." Jackson said, then got up, put his clothes on, and walked out. April stayed in the on-call room for a few minutes, then decided to go help in the ER. There, she saw Alex, he looked to be in a bad mood, he had a suture kit in his hand as well. A man walked up to him, probably the family of his patient.

The man asked, "Do you know where I could find the chief of surgery? Excuse me. Chief of surgery?"

Alex blew him off, "No idea. Sorry. Go ask a nurse if you can find 'em." Then walked away. It was a normal day in the ER. Arizona and Lexie were with an appendicitis patient, Callie and Alex were with a hip dislocation, April just found a place in the pit because there was nothing else for her to do, and Jackson was helping Owen and Teddy with a patient.

"Call the OR and tell them we're on our way." Owen said while wheeling a patient out of a trauma room with Teddy and Jackson. There was obvious tension between Cristina and Owen, as she walked into the trauma room before they left.

The man April and Alex had seen earlier had just asked a nurse where Derek was again, the nurse blew him off as well. The man walked through the ER and went through a door into a supply room that led to the elevators. There Madelyn was, looking for some supplies for her patient.

"Excuse me, ma'am." The man said, walking up to her.

"Yes?" Madelyn responded.

"I was wondering if you could tell me where I could find Dr. Derek Shepherd." The man said.

"Um.... you know, I don't know. I'm sorry." Madelyn said, she had to get back to her patient so she tried to walk off.

The man grabbed her arm, she tugged it away, "Can you tell me where his office his? I'm kinda turned around here..."

"Sir, he might not even be in his office, besides, I really don't have time to be giving instructions. I wish I knew where he was, but I have to go. I have a patient having seizures in there. Go find a nurse and ask them." Madelyn said.

"Ma'am."

"Look, you're not even supposed to be back here. I don't know where he is, okay? I'm not here to show you where everything and everyone is, I'm a surgeon, I have to go help my patient." Madelyn snapped, she didn't mean to be rude, but she really needed to go. Right when she finished talking, the man pulled out a gun and shot her in the head. She fell to the ground and began to bleed out.