The First Day

Madelyn wakes up to the sound of her alarm and the smell of pancakes coming from the kitchen. "Look who's up." Madelyn says tiredly as she walks into the kitchen.

April replies, "What can I say? I woke up way too early so I just decided to make us some pancakes. You've gotta have a well rounded breakfast before your first day of work!"

"You're not wrong." Maddie says while taking a pancake and eating it. "So, when do you wanna leave? We've got about an hour until pre-rounds start."

"I guess we can leave in about 30 minutes, that'll give us time to make sure our lockers are good and organized and get coffee." April says.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna go do my hair and makeup." Maddie tells her.

"That's a good idea." April laughs and goes into her room, still eating a pancake.

Madelyn finishes up getting ready, grabs a jacket and yells for April. "Apes!! Hurry up! We gotta go!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" April grabs her purse and walks out the door behind Maddie.

They arrive at Seattle Grace Mercy West. "This place is HUGE!" April exclaims when they walk in SGMW. Maddie agrees and they go into the locker room. There, they see Alex Karev, Meredith Grey, Cristina Yang, George O'Malley, and Jackson Avery, along with a bunch of other interns.

April whispers to Maddie, "Oh. My. God. Look at that dude! The one who's putting his jacket in his locker"

"Not my type, I do like that girl right there though, she's hot as hell." Madelyn says while pointing to Cristina.

"Spicy." April starts laughing. When she laughs it catches the attention of the other interns who didn't notice Maddie and April were there.

Jackson looks over, "And you two must be Madelyn and April. Nice to meet you, I'm Jackson Avery." He holds his hand out for them to shake. April shakes it first.

"I'm April Kepner, Madelyn Taylor here is my best friend." Madelyn shakes his hand as well. Meredith and Cristina then look over. April and Madelyn walk over to lockers right beside one another. After they put their things away, they ask the names of the other residents. Meredith says something first.

"Meredith Grey. I was born here, moved to Boston, came back. Not anything too interesting." Maddie's jaw drops.

"So we've got a Grey and an Avery. I'll be damned." Madelyn says in pure awe. Meredith rolls her eyes and tells her to get over herself. "Oh- okay. Sorry." Maddie raises her eyebrows at April.

Alex introduces himself next "Alex Karev. I don't want to know any of you, so if you would just kindly stay away from me, that'd be great" April widens her eyes in warning at Maddie.

"Cristina Yang." Cristina introduces herself but not very warmly.

"I'm gonna try and lighten the mood here... I'm George O'Malley. I love making new friends and I hope that we have a great time as residents here." April nudges Maddie and nods her head indicating that they found a good one.

"Hello everyone, I'm April Kepner. I'm from Ohio but I've lived in Baltimore since I was in 4th grade. I've got the same mindset as George, and I'm happy to be here!" April says while smiling.

"I'm Madelyn Taylor. Me and April have been best friends since 4th grade. I'm from Baltimore, my dad and step-mom are both doctors. I'm happy to be here as well!" Madelyn says and then briefly makes eye contact with Cristina.

"Well, most of you are a bit too happy for my liking, but, I'll try and not kill you on our first day. Or ever, because that's kind of a felony" Cristina says.

April laughs, "Good to know."

Miranda Bailey walks in and calls out 7 names. "Meredith Grey, Cristina Yang, George O'Malley, Alex Karev, Madelyn Taylor, Jackson Avery, and April Kepner, come with me."

They all get their coats and stethoscopes and quickly walk out. "I have 5 rules, memorize them. Rule number one: Don't bother sucking up, I already hate you. That's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run! That's rule number two! Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours. You're new resident transfers, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop, and don't complain! On-call rooms. Attendings hog them. Sleep when you can where you can, which brings me to rule number three! If I'm sleeping, don't wake me up unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four: They dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only will you have killed someone, you would have woke me for no good reason. We clear?" Bailey says.

*Meredith raises her hand*

"Yes?"

"You said five rules, that was only four."

*Bailey glares at her and her pager goes off* "Rule number five: When I move, you move."

They all run to the E.R.