Death and All His Friends

Derek was lying on the ground, bleeding out. April had no idea what to do. There was a gun pointed at her. Something that could take her life in an instant... right in front of her. Her life was in the hands of a lunatic. Derek woke up and was gasping for air, he touched his bullet wound and looked at the blood on his hands. April ran up to him when she saw he was awake and was sobbing, hyperventilating even. She looked at Derek, then the man with the gun, she put her hands up.

"My name... my name is April Kepner. I'm 28 years old. I... I was born on April 23rd in O- in Ohio. I'm from Columbus, Ohio." April said, her voice shaky, "Um... my mom- my mom is a teacher, and m-my dad is a farmer- corn. C-corn he-he grows corn. Their- their names are Karen and Joe." April was struggling by now, she was crying and could barely get words out of her mouth, "I have three sisters. Libby's the oldest. I'm- I'm next, and then there's K-Kimmie, then Alice. I-I-I haven't done anything yet. I haven't... I've barely lived. I'm not finished yet. No one's loved me yet. Please. Please. I- I'm pregnant. You wouldn't shoot a pregnant woman would you? Please. I'm someone's child! I'm a person! I'm a person!"

"I'm sorry." The man said and April's facial expression changed in an instant, Mr. Clark pulled the trigger and shot April in the stomach. He was aiming for her heart, but his hand was too shaky. She clutched her stomach, knowing what had just happened, inside and out, and fell to the ground. The man walked away. He was gone. Apparently he moved on to other people to kill. Mark, Lexie and Alex ran through the double doors, and Meredith was seen running from somewhere near a nurses station, Cristina close in pursuit. Derek was barely still awake, on the other hand, April was awake and responsive, painfully aware that she had just been shot.

"Guys, we need to get out of here. He could come back." Cristina urged.

"We can't just leave them!" Lexie squealed.

"We know." Alex and Mark said consecutively. Meredith was over there talking to Derek saying how much she loved him or whatever, everyone else was just focused on getting to the OR.

"Okay, Alex, you get April. She's light, you can carry her. Lexie, help Alex with April if needed. Cristina and Meredith, you two help me get Derek into there." Mark said, then pointed back behind the double doors. There were a lot of spare wheelchairs back there, that's why he wanted to go.

April was gasping as well, she managed to say, "I-I s-saw on O-Oprah or s-somewhere.... that i-if you tell.... personal d-details ab-about yourself then you're l-less likely t-to get sh-shot." She tried to laugh, "Guess that didn't w-work."

Alex scowled in confusion as to why she was laughing right now, but he went ahead and laughed a little too to make her feel better.

"Guys." Cristina said, trying to get everyone's attention, "GUYS!" Everyone shut up, "We only have one attending. Now I don't know if Teddy and Owen are still down in the OR, but if they're not, then what do we do."

Everyone froze, Mark looked at Cristina, "You're good at cardio... right?"

Her eyes widened, "What- what do you mean by that?"

Alex spoke up, "He means that you're going to have to do Derek's surgery..."

In a hallway with Teddy and Owen

Teddy and Owen were wheeling their patient down a hall, and they were arguing. They turned a corner and saw a man, bleeding out on the floor, "Oh, my God." Teddy said.

Owen went to check his pulse, "He's dead. We can't go to the ICU. We stay here, we're sitting ducks. I'm taking this patient out of here." Owen pulled out his phone.

"Who are you calling?"

"9-1-1."

Outside with Richard and the police