Chapter Nine

"Morning, Keyara." Mrs. Blythe greeted with a smile, starting Keyara's morning with people. A pair of tongs were held by her right hand as she flipped the bacon on the pan, the sizzling sound reaching Keyara's ears. "Is two bacons, two sunny side up eggs and a toast is perfect for you?"

Her head shot up and she almost cracked a sound from her voice. This breakfast was too much. No, she couldn't eat more than one egg. One egg was already too much.

Shutting her mouth, her mind unfreeze from the temporary shock as she grabbed her whiteboard from her bag and started darting the tip of the marker into some messy letters, forming a sentence nonetheless.

I'll take one egg.

The lines on Mrs. Blythe's forehead deepened, her lips were lined with a deep frown. "Just one? Is that enough for you?"

Nodding, Keyara took a seat on one of the barstool before her hand went into her bag to fish out her drawing book. She spent the whole night sketching and drinking coffee. She couldn't sleep with the vision kept on appearing like it always did since years ago.

Last night had Keyara sneaking into the kitchen for four cups of coffee and it succeeded because the caffeine prevented her from sleeping.

She flipped to a certain page and frowned at her own drawing. She did remembered the feather she had drawn during two in the morning but her mind was hazy when she moved on to draw the dripping blood from the quill. She couldn't exactly remember how and when she drew the liquid that was dropping from the vane but it was exactly how she saw it in the vision.

Soft yet dangerous.

Harmless yet deadly.

It disturbed her. A lot.

Shutting her eyes close, she took a deep breath.

No, she neither could let the drawing nor the vision to affect her.

"Morning, Faith, Keygan."

Mrs. Blythe's chirpy voice brought Keyara back to reality and she opened the eyelids. The little girl next to her made Keyara jumped on her spot and Keyara hurriedly flipped her book close since Faith's eyes remained on the certain page. Keyara refused to have an eye contact with the girl as she carelessly shoved the book in the bag and looked back at the stove right in time to see Mrs. Blythe turning down the fire.

The chair beside her got dragged and Keyara stiffened, inching closer to Faith unconsciously.

"Morning, Mom," Keygan said, sitting on the stool.

Keyara didn't know what to do but just cursed herself for picking the chair in between two. She should've taken the one on the edge. She hated to be seated in the middle of two humans.

"Here you go." Mrs. Blythe served Keygan a plate that consisted two bacons, two eggs and two toasts. With the same type of plate, she offered Keyara not one egg and also with a pair of bacons. To Keyara's perplexed look, she merely smiled and grabbed a bowl from the cabinet. "Eat well now, Keyara. You won't get the chance once you're older."

She looked down at her plate. One egg with two bacons.

Maybe she could finish it.

While pouring the Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal into the bowl, Mrs. Blythe looked up at her son before saying, "Oh, Keygan, I forgot I have a meeting with a client in less than an hour. Can you drive Keyara to school today?"

The most uncomfortable silence Keyara had ever came across with hovered over them, causing Keygan to froze midway with a piece of bacon hanging from his lips while Keyara went rigid like a pole.