Chapter Forty-Three

Keyara refused to believe in miracles.

In fact, she was positive that miracle didn't exist.

Chris bringing her to the Blythe's abode was a mere coincidence, Keyara assumed that. She didn't want to get her hopes to high by believing in miracles and hopes that would soon lead her to disappointment.

Which was why she wasn't looking forward for Mr. Blythe to be here. Her plan was simple, ditch Keygan and his friends saying she wasn't hungry and instead wanted to help the teacher in the art room. It worked, they believed her, and Keyara didn't feel any bad for lying to them.

It was for Keygan, she was doing this for him. Whatever the outcome, whether she fail or succeed, the effort that counted.

So she walked towards the main gate with a bored look, expecting the spot to be empty because Mr. Blythe was a busy businessman. The last thing he would do would be listening to a teen who came out of the street seeking for a place to stay. Keyara knew he took instant dislike in her the moment they met. So she wouldn't be disappointed if he wasn't there.

But it really surprised her; she was astounded - surprise would be an understatement to what she felt when she saw a man standing there in crisp white shirt and trousers - his usual look - with his coat hung limply on the crook of his arm. The school pass was tucked on his chest pocket, so he must've taken the visitor's gate which was a few meters away from the main gate.

Inhaling some breath to reassure herself, she approached him.

"Morning," she said when she was close enough. He remained silent with his stolid face but he did returned a nod. "I just need to show you something that's right around the corner."

He nodded once again.

Keyara started walking and the only thing that gave away the fact he was still following her were his footsteps. Keyara wasn't going to lie, she was a little afraid, just a little. Not afraid of the man behind her but afraid of what Keygan's reaction would be if he were to find out. She knew better than keeping secrets from him but in this case, she just didn't know how to deliever the news to him.

Better not, she hadn't even decided whether to tell him or not.

Keyara brought Keygan's father to the C block. It wasn't that far but it took at least a minute to reach there. Keyara stared at the door Keygan brought her to last week. Sighing, she twisted the knob and stepped inside, giving way for Mr. Blythe to do the same.

The same smell hit her. The smell of papers and woods, with a thin layer of the musty smell. She shut the door and went ahead to pull all the curtains open, allowing the sunlight to shower the room. Heat spread in, and from behind she head Mr. Blythe taking a sharp intake of breath.

"What is this?" he asked, strained. There was a small stutter that he tried to cover with a light cough.

Crossing her arms, she turned and arched her brows at him. "What do you think it is, Sir?"

He looked around. She couldn't read his expression now. His lips were set in a very thin line and he had this furrow on his face.

After a while he said, "What does this has to do something with me? You're wasting my time, I'm leaving."

He turned to leave. Keyara couldn't help but to laugh. Laugh because he was being hypocritical.

He didn't want to admit his son's achievement, he didn't want to admit Keygan could achieve something without his father's help.

"Am I?" she challenged. "Am I really wasting your time or you're just afraid?"

He turned around, his eyes narrowed, teeth grinding. "Listen here, kid, you don't know a thing-"