Chapter Nineteen

The two days of leave after Thanksgiving washed by in a whisper of air. Most days went by with Keyara shutting herself in her room, only visiting downstairs for lunch and dinner, as she often woke up late enough to miss breakfast.

She couldn't help it.

Waking up due to nightmares drained her energy up. The caffeine she drank at midnight kept her up, but it wasn't powerful enough to keep her awake for half a day.

As Keyara kept walking alongside the fence she didn't have any mood to jump over today, her mind wandered over last two days.

The next morning after Thanksgiving went by with Mrs. Blythe constantly apologizing to Keyara for Justin's behaviour. Chris kept avoiding Keyara's glare throughout the day and almost tripped into the pool, unfortunately landing into the swim-up bar instead of the water.

He was aware that Keyara disliked apologies from anyone. From Renee's pity looks and Keygan's secret glances, she rather not stay around them, just for safe precautions.

Faith was the only exception. No pity or sorry was evident on her face. Faith was the only one Keyara could lock eyes with.

She had no idea why she hated that look since she spent her whole entire life accepting it without or with intentions of doing so.

Toby did not know anything about the horrible incident. Although Keyara knew he would blow up in anger if he got to know what happened, she did not want him to know. It was obvious he would be more mad at the fact she decided to hide it from him.

The first person to greet her once she stepped inside the school was the same girl who had been sticking onto Keyara's since day one.

Vidyashree stretched a wide grin across her face and waved a palm frantically. "Good morning!"

Keyara winced at her volume. How could she be so cheery and loud in this morning? Scratch this morning, how could someone be happy in the morning?

Damn, but Keyara had no energy to deal with cheery shit right now.

"What are you having now?" Vidyashree did not wait for Keyara's answer as she took the paper just right after Keyara opened her locker. "Calculus, me too. Leggo!"

Keyara had this sudden urge to slam her locker. With a sigh, she shut it and turned the code into some random numbers before going into the opposite way from the class she had next.

Vidyashree noticed the change of direction and frowned. "Hey, where are you going?"

Keyara never answered.

That didn't mean Vidyashree gave up. She puckered her lips in thought before looking down, her right feet slowly kicking the tiles. "Is it because I'm annoying?"

No, Keyara wanted to say even though it was a lie. Vidyashree was annoying but somehow, in the end, she was the only schoolmate that had been sticking around with Keyara.

Keyara turned and breathed out with a hiss. "I just need to be alone."

It was too late before Keyara could realize her mistake. Keyara slammed her lips together and slapped her forehead. She was going easy with another person. This wasn't happening, but it already had happened.

Vidyashree's eyes widen in a way it was impossible for human but she managed to do it. She opened her mouth to speak but words couldn't be heard.

Keyara grunted, "Forget it."

When she resumed walking once again, Vidyashree came jogging and joined by her side. "You can talk?"

"I'm not mute."