Chapter Ten

"Oh, come in, come in." The small, middle aged teacher waved Keyara in with a small, friendly smile stretching over her thin, creasing lips. Her eyes crinkled and her monolids covered her entire dark brown eyes, making Keyara squint her eyes to find to find the teacher's. "What is your name, dear?"

For the thirteenth time ever since she stepped into the school, she lifted the board and moved closer to the teacher.

The teacher's light and airy accent thinned into a questioning voice, her Japanese-like accent taking over as she said, "Oh, you're the new student. Please take a seat, dear, you're quite early. And I'm Ms. Minori."

Nodding, Keyara spun on the heels of her feet when another memory crashed into her mind, halting her steps. She pulled all the muscles in her forehead together to form her frown and turned back to Ms. Minori before tapping her whiteboard with the marker to gain her attention.

Ms. Minori glanced up. "Yes?"

Someone told me your name is Mrs. Westwood. Am I in the wrong class?

Keyara made her writing as small as possible for the whole sentences to fit within the board and showed it at the teacher. With the same frown, the teacher squinted her eyes and read the entire thing before laughing under her breath, shaking her head.

"No, my husband's surname is Westwood. I'm going after my maiden name."

Keyara tipped her head into a curt nod and turned back to the classroom. With two dozens chairs and desk, she didn't know which to pick.

What if she picked a desk that has an owner? It would be so damn embarrassing to get up and under the weight of everyone's eyes, she needs to walk to another empty seat.

She roamed her eyes for a like a minute of two until Ms. Minori requested her to take the first chair to her right, explaining no one liked to seat next to the window because of sunlight. However, Keyara had no problem with it and sat on the seat.

Now all she needed to do was wait for the extra class to start. The clock above Ms. Minori's head said Keyara was about thirty minutes early. Keyara grumbled under her breath and connected her headphones, which Toby bought for her, to her phone.

Toby also had downloaded an amount of songs in her phone under an app called Spotify and Keyara could just stare at the phone, confused about which to pick. What she knew was, that, Toby had an unconditional love for an artist named Taylor Swift since most of the songs in her phone were written under her name.

Keyara stuck to a song called The Best Day and waited for the flowing lyrics to capture her mind, just to throw everything that wasn't important out of her mind.

Until the paragraph flowed after the chorus, halting the drumming of Keyara's fingers on the table. Her mind stopped working amd she felt her heart slowly lifting up to her throat.

I have an excellent father, his strength is making me stronger.

Father, who was that? And his strength to make her stronger? Keyara forced herself to breath and just squeezed her eyes closed, pleading her mind not to face back the vivid flashbacks and vision.

God smiles on my little brother, inside and out. He's better than I am.

Of course, anyone could be better than Keyara because she was fucked up. A nothing but some dirt deserved to be under someone's shoe.

I grew up in a pretty house and I had space to run.

Keyara grew up withing four walls and she didn't have the space to breathe.