Chapter Forty-One

"Can I have a word with you?"

Keyara looked sceptical. Her eyes were narrowed and arms were crossed, as if to give herself a sense of security. She subtly squeezed her arm and realized she wasn't imagining it when a shot of pain ran across hee bicep.

"Please," Kellie begged, face twisting in discomfort. "It'll be quick."

Keyara nodded, and the girls silently walked towards the living room. Keyara shut the door behind her and the cheers from the backyard muffled, allowing them to have a proper conversation without any sound.

"I'm sorry."

It was the first Kellie had said when Keyara turned and took a seat on the couch. Her eyebrows flew up and it took a few seconds to compose herself.

Keyara blinked twice. Kellie apologizing to her for no reason had her taken aback, and now Keyara concluded that having a hostile feeling towards the other party was better because in this case, she wasn't used to 'nice'. Keyara was awkward, she had no idea how to react.

She at least had this idea of Kellie threatening her to leave Keygan and was more than ready to send a fist flying across the brunette's face.

But instead, she said sorry.

Keyara locked her hands together. "Uhh, what?"

"I'm really sorry." Kellie repeated, a heavy flood of sincerity and remorse clouding her eyes. Her hands were shaking, and it took a few deep breaths for the girl to speak again. "I'm truly sorry for being an idiotic bitch."

Keyara stayed frozen, unsure how to react.

Finally, she croaked out, "Are you high?"

Kellie suddenly let out bubbles of laughter, then shook her head, sniffling. "I know it seems all crazy and a mess. But I just realized how obsessed I might have been with Keygan. I couldn't help it, I liked, or maybe even loved, Keygan ever since I was a freshman. I don't know why, but I just hoped at least Keygan would look back and notice me. Not as a crazy follower, but as a girl who really wanted to care for him."

A lump slowly formed in Keyara's throat. Fear, she knew that feeling all too well, came in a form of negativity as it washed over her. She was afraid, afraid of losing Keygan. What if one day Keygan turn around and noticed how loyal had Kellie been to him? What if one day Keygan finally realized how much she loves him? What if one day, Keygan decided to get bored with her and let her go instead?

Her heart tightened at that. It was a painful squeeze, it shook her to the core.

"I really did everything - anything - to get him notice me yet none worked. I asked him to tutor me, asked him to hang out with me, ask him to walk me to class, ask him to eat lunch with me. It was all futile." Kellie wiped a tear hastily before it could touch her chin. She sniffed again, blinking back tears. "I-I really had no idea why I was being clingy with him."

Keyara looked at the girl sobbing in front of her. No matter what, Kellie was still a human, a normal people with feelings. Sometimes people tend to make mistakes accidently, and mistakes were what make a human.

Keyara tried to put herself in her shoes.

What if Keygan didn't like her back? What if she too, try to chase Keygan even if she knew it was a futile effort? What if Keygan fall in love with another girl and she has to be there to watch it all? How would she react if Keygan kiss another girl in front of her eyes?

Her eyes stung, burned, with unshed tears. She couldn't even imagine having that shown in front of her eyes. She swallowed hard. "I'm sorry, I didn't-"