Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Party? Nope, I'm out."

"Oh, come on." CJ slid closer to Keyara, throwing a firm arm around her shoulder to prevent her from moving away. "It's a non-alcohol party."

A frown graced Keyara's face and she turned to look at him. "A party without alcohol? Who would even attend that kind of party?"

"People," Devon deadpanned.

Keyara scowled at him and reached for a bubble gum behind the counter. "Sorry, I can't."

"You're lazy."

She stuck a tongue out at CJ. "I prefer the term selective participation."

Both the men glowered at her. Devon rolled his eyes and said, "It's Matias's party."

"Matias?" Keyara tilted her head. If it really was his party, Keygan would be there too.

"Keygan will be there," Devon said as if he could read her mind. With a little smirk, he added, "I'm pretty sure if you say yes he wouldn't think twice to attend."

"Who is that, your boyfriend?"

Keyara didn't bother denying it. She liked how it sounded.

The intercom released a strangled sound, indicating a customer has entered. Keyara grimaced, and turned to CJ. "You need to change that, buddy."

"Yeah, it sounds like nails on chalkboard," Devon added unnecessarily.

CJ looked at both of them with a judgemental look and proceeded towards the counter, muttering something about them being some ungrateful brats.

"I swear you both finish all my damn bubblegum, he never pays the fucking rent not even half of it, and you take all the pads and tampons as you wish and still have the fucking nerve to question why I'm broke," he grumbled throwing them his middle finger. "Bunch of ungrateful bitches."

"Hey, you're the one who told me that pads and tampons are supposed to be free." Keyara followed him into the store, with Devon trailing behind her. "I even ask for your permission if I want to take them for free, CJ, don't put all the fucking blame on me."

He ignored her.

"Did he just ignored me?" Keyara gasped.

Devon nodded. "He did."

"He did, didn't he?"

"He really did."

She shook her head and strode down the stairs.

"You again."

Keyara heard CJ exclaim.

She descended and opened the door. Sarah and Aubrey stood on the other side, both had a restless face on. On the counter laid some pregnancy tests, at least three. Before Keyara could sneak back in, however, Sarah looked up and caught her eyes.

Busted.

"Keyara? Devon?"

At the mention of thier name, Aubrey looked up, wide eyes.

"Shit," she cursed, dropping her gaze. She tugged on Sarah's hand, almost hastily.

Sarah sighed and passed on a brief, tired smile. "Can we go for a cup of coffee?"

That was how Keyara found herself in one of the booths in Starbucks, sipping on a cup of caramel frappuccino. Before her sat Aubrey and Sarah. The former was fiddling with her hands while Sarah was frozen, her eyes staring at three tests that Aubrey placed on a tissue paper.

Twenty minutes had passed and the other line hadn't appeared.

Keyara blew out a sigh and shook her head. "It's obviously negative, you shouldn't think much."