Chapter Forty

"Oh, my God!" Matias exclaimed, a bottle of apple juice in hand, as he studied something out of the window with a pair of widened eyes. "Shit, shit, shit! Keygan, you've to see this!"

Danika frowned and went on to see what he was on about. She reacted to the scene with a laugh, crossing her arms. "Someone's enjoying the party really well."

Keygan looked up from the books he had scattered around the table. Just as he reached Matias's house, three hands handed out few books that had unsolved questions in it. He wasn't exactly doing their homework, just adding few hints and clues.

He would be rather at home snuggling in the bed with Keyara instead of being here at this stupid party in the name of being a good friend.

If it was anyone's fault, it's be his to make a promise with Matias to help around the party few days ago.

He had instantly regretted it.

"What?" he said with a yawn, flipping to yet another page. He wanted Keyara, he wished she was here. At least he would have a reason to stay.

"She looks like she's having a good time there," Aubrey said, shaking her head and gulping the Pepsi, wishing it was alcohol instead. "I need a good fuc-"

"I've replaced your pills with a new one so better don't complain shits about-"

She waved off Sarah with the palm of her hand, grabbing another can. "Yeah, yeah, mother, thank you for your concern."

"You're being ungrateful." Sarah shook her head and lifted her book so that it covered her entire face.

"Come over here for a second." Matias waves him over. When Keygan didn't even blink, he groaned out loud and started pulling on his neck into a headlock, dragging him to the window and pointing out at the scene that played outside. "See, look, watch!"

"What the fuck- is she doing here?"

Keygan remembered her saying a solid no when he invited her to the party.

"Let me stop you right there. If it involves early mornings, sweating or dealing with people, then NO!" she had said that when he barged into her room this morning.

She wasn't even half-awake when she said that. At least she gave a crystal clear answer, he thought, pecked her cheek and left her room.

That was a lie. He frowned, watching her laugh with her peers. She was even sitting on the swim-up barstool, criss cross, with Jerry fucking Hall in front of her as she braided his hair. Fucking Hall was grinning, an elbow casually thrown on her knee. She wasn't even caring about his hand on her arm.

She was laughing. With them.

With him.

What the fuck.

It probably shouldn't have affected him as much as it did.

But he just couldn't help but feel a little jealousy burn in his chest.

Just a little.

But he was just too close.

Too close for his liking.

Matias slung a casual arm around Keygan's neck. "Don't you think Hall is a little too close to her?"

"So?"

"Mate, even I could feel the jealousy radiating from you!" Toby laughed from the couched, his trembling spilling some juice onto the disposable mat which earned himself a grunt from Matias.

He knew that.

Keygan knew that.

"She's happy, I'm not gonna ruin it for her." It'd be utterly selfish if he went there and pull her away from Jerry. This was her first party after all. He couldn't imagine how much courage she had to muster just to take the first step in here.