Chapter Three

They had lost the match and it was his fault.

Keygan got rid of his jersey and dumped it in his locker. He sighed and ran a hand across his face, sliding back his sweaty, blonde waves.

As he was about to make some damage on his locker, he was interrupted.

"Keygan!" A voice with a little hint of Scouse accent called out, halting Keygan's negative thought.

Keygan took a deep breath and glanced at his best friend since kindergarten, who also moved from Liverpool when he was six.

"What?" he asked, trying to be nice but his voice inadvertently sounded irritated. He sighed and tried again, this time softer as he didn't want to receive another lecture on how to be nice from that Scouser. "What?"

"Matias said you would be abusing the locker so I came to check if it was alright," Toby said with a small shrug, pushing his friend to the side to inspect the locker, a tiny frown taking place on his forehead. "Hmm, seems like I've stopped that twat before he could hurt you, huh?"

Keygan rolled his eyes at Toby. After all, hs was the clown of the school. And the person who liked to annoy everyone. He accidently made the wrong friend, but he didn't exactly wanted to be his friend at first.

He still remebered the day in the kindergarten, when a dark brown skinned boy with a mop of really curly, black hair came chirping like a bird calling it whistling and sat on the swing next to Keygan. When he asked Keygan to be his friend and got a no as an answer, the annoying boy kept on trailing Keygan the following day, leaving the latter with no choice but to be his friend.

"What do you want?" Keygan took off his shoulder pads, dropping them on the floor. "To check on the locker? You just did it and it's fine, fortunately you appeared before I could hurt it. N-"

"Don't be such a tool, Blythe. I'm here to check on you." Toby moved closer to her locker and leaned on it, crossing his arms across his broad, bare chest. "QB said you would be feeling bad, and he was right. Nobody blames you for what happened, Keygan. You're blaming yourself now. Not a nice thing to do for someone who told us victory doesn't matter as long as we just step our foot into the field."

"No, it was my fault. If I didn't trip on that fucking rock, Matias would have made a touchdown and we could've won the game," Keygan said, his voice reaching higher and higher until Toby winced. Keygan sighed. He didn't want to deal with this after making a fool out of himself on the field.

"No one knows a rock is going to be there. If someone was to be blamed, put that on that twat who didn't check the field properly." Toby tried his best to convince his best friend. It was clearly wasn't Keygan's fault. "It's fine. We only lost by two points."

"No, you don't understand, Toby. I feel like it's my responsible we lost."

"Keygan, Keygan, Keygan." Matias joined their conversation, also half naked. He snaked his arms around both of their necks, grinning. "Nothing is wrong that we lost. We had lost, correct, but we haven't lost anything, just the unimportant game. Now cheer up and let's go to my party."

"We lost and you're throwing a party?" Keygan threw his arm away from his neck and turned to get a new set of clothes. "That's sick, man."

"Mate, he's throwing a bloody party for us, not for the game," Toby supplied with a grin.

"And as the quarterback, I'm ordering you to join us," Matias said, leaving no room to argue.

"I don't know." Keygan shrugged, much to both, the quarterback's and cornerback's dissapoinment and annoyance. "Mom said she's having a dinner today and my presence is desperately needed there."