Chapter One

A pair of dull grayish, blue eyes snapped open.

It was not a pleasant sight that greeted them.

But they did expected this place.

White walls full of missing posters. Over the corner there was a pinboard stuck with clues about some potential suspects and victims. Desks were pulled up to the edges, decorated with scrambled papers while people occupied the cubicles as their personal space.

"I told you to fax those files to the Tokyo branch!"

Keyara looked at her right and not so far than twenty feet away from her, a man with black and white pepper hair was yelling furiously at someone. His lips were pulled up in an unfavourable scowl and his pointed eyes were narrowed at the poor guy across him.

The guy with orange hair was sweating bucket and was quaking in his shoes. Keyara watched as he fished a blue and white plaid handkerchief out of his pocket and hastily wiped his sweaty forehead, answering something inaudible back.

Bored with the sight, Keyara turned her head a little to see a blonde woman messing with the coffee machine, struggling hard to get the dark brown liquid out.

Right, how could she get the coffee when the switch is off? Keyara thought in her mind, briefly glancing the switch which really needed to be flipped on for the machine to work.

Officer Blythe was at the corner to her right when she looked at him. His back was facing her. His light blue shirt was coated with sweat, the light fabric getting heavier and darker.

As if he could feel Keyara's glare, he turned and his green eyes scanned the whole room, eventually giving up when he found nothing suspicious.

Keyara's jaw clenched, unable to keep her anger at bay. Not only he had kept her hand handcuffed to the bench, he also had a lady to supervise her. And it was the exact same lady who dragged her from the spot and into the van. Seriously, she didn't even take her eyes from Keyara, not even for a second.

It was as if she owned a pair of hawk eyes.

Keyara frowned incredulously at the handcuff that had her hand tied. She didn't like it a tad bit. She was the person who liked to be free even if she was in a cage. A girl that had no worries abiut anything because she had enough.

And now keeping her locked and forced, she was furious.

"Keyara."

She glanced up, the shutters in her eyes slamming down to protect her emotions. She didn't reply but the asshole officer took it as a 'yes' and sat on the other end of the bench since he was aware of the hostile feeling the kid had towards him.

"I've talked to my parents." Keyara's eyes narrowed at the short statement the officer told her. The latter leaned forward with his knees supporting his elbows, his hands rubbing together in anticipation. Anticipating what? Her reaction, her outburst? If yes, sorry to dissapoinment him, but she wasn't the person who liked to throw tantrum.

"I told them about you."

The pump in Keyara's chest grew rapid and stronger. She also didn't like whenever this was going. Officer Blythe wasn't a person who liked to beat around the bush, he was more to that person who was straightforward, blunt and doesn't give any shit to anyone.

Now seeing him slowly feeding Keyara ice cream before the chilli, she was suspicious. And she knew it wasn't a good news.

"They said they are willing to take you in. Not adopt, but you know, give you a place to stay," he supplied even further, pursuing his lips. He didn't know how to say it without scaring that kid as he wasn't a person to sugar-coat things. "You're seventeen without a place to say and I'm sorry to say you've no choice."