Chapter 40

Shoutout to MadamMilkshake SaaraVirtanen1 and BrigitaDuobaite for all the votes and comments! Thank you so much!

                       - xoxo

                                      ~ * ~

(Zander's POV)

Damian and I snapped and tackled each other in what seemed like an endless battle. I knocked him to the ground and looked around briefly...most of the rogues were down now.

I lunged towards Damian and managed to get ahold of his neck. He just continued to snarl and fight. I hesitated, but then bit down, dropping him to the ground.

A pained howl rung out.

I looked around and saw Kaileigh falling to the ground with a large wolf's jaws around her neck. I sprinted over and snapped at the wolf. He released her, her body not moving a muscle.

Warriors approached my sides, along with Colt and Dylan. We all snarled and barked at the wolf. He growled back, but then took off running deeper into the woods. Some of the warriors, along with Dylan, took off after him.

I quickly shifted, throwing on some shorts from a tree, and ran back over to where Kaileigh was. She had shifted back to her human form to heal as Sam was dressing her carefully. I picked her up gently and then Colt, Sam, and I sprinted for the school parking lot.

As soon as we got to my car, I tossed Colt the keys and slid in back with Kaileigh still cradled in my arms. We sped off to Redwood pack's clinic, with Sam following in her Jeep. Luckily Sam had already mind-linked them to be ready for her arrival.

It seemed like days passed with no information being given to us from the pack doctors. It had really been only hours, but it felt like an eternity. My wolf has been on edge this whole time. We didn't even know if she would make it or not.

Why did she run off after that rogue alone?!

Sam is still crying, sitting on a chair in the waiting room. Her father and mother just recently went back with the doctors to get the prognosis. I sat down next to Sam, giving the pacing I've been doing a break. I just sighed and put my head in my hands.

"I shouldn't have left her," Sam sniffled out.

"It's not your fault Sam. She told you to get help and it was the right thing to do. If you hadn't gotten all of us who knows what would've happened," I replied, trying to comfort her.

"I-I guess..."

"Kaileigh wouldn't want you blaming herself. Ultimately, we both have to accept that it was her choice. I blame myself, too, Sam. I had been with her right beforehand. I left because Colt called me. If I had just stayed with her...I would've been able to stop her."

She slightly chuckled between sniffles, "Stubborn wolf."

"Yes, she is," I laughed back.

Sam and I had already been treated to by the clinic. Our injuries weren't as severe. Sam knows she owes that to Kaileigh. I just wish my little lamb had waited for help.

A few more hours passed when Ryan and Dylan ran into the clinic. They were panting and still injured from the attack. Sam rushed over to Ryan, making sure he was okay. Alpha Braxton and my father walked in shortly after, confidence flashing in their eyes.

"The Blood Rogues are no more," my father stated.

I jumped up, "Are you sure?!"

"The presumed Alpha is dead. We sent a team to scout White Crest and see if any of the survivors solidify together for revenge or if they disperse. Others are scouring over the woods by the school to check bodies," Alpha Braxton answered.

"We have to make sure whoever the wolf was that was trying to mark her, Damian I think, is identified. He seemed to be in charge of the attack, Alpha or not," I added in as I noticed Beta Max walking over in my peripheral vision.

We all stood in silence, waiting for his words.

"She's stable," he said relieved, "She's asleep. She sustained numerous injuries that her wolf is desperately trying to heal. Her leg is broken, as well as an upper arm. Her back is a mess, with bruising and puncture wounds all over her neck. She also has some fractured ribs and possibly a slight concussion. I know it sounds like a lot, but she is healing quickly. If she keeps sleeping or relaxing and focusing her energy on healing, she should be fully healed by Saturday afternoon."

I sighed in relief. My wolf finally settled down.

"Can she come home?" Sam asked.

"Not until Saturday. They want to keep an eye on her, just in case," her father replied, "Why don't you go bring Kaileigh some things to keep her company. Her phone, laptop, maybe some comfy blankets and pillows, whatever you think she'd want."

Sam smiled and left to the pack house, with Ryan following after her. I think Kaileigh was right about those two.

"Dylan...Greyson, go home and relax. No one is able to see her for a bit. Besides, she is still asleep. You will be informed when she's awake and seeing people," Alpha Braxton uttered.

I nodded and headed outside reluctantly. I was walking over to my car when a voice called my attention, "Don't expect her to want your company," Dylan snarled at me.

"She'd call for me way before she'd call for you," I barked back.

"All she has to do is mind-link me," he snickered out.

"She's been inducted into your pack? Since when?"

"Seems she doesn't tell you everything," he laughed, "Just remember, I'm the one that's close enough to comfort her when she has nightmares causing her to scream at night. I'm the one just a few doors away. I could go to her whenever I wanted to, but you...you have to cross pack lands. You have to let us know. You can always be denied."

My thoughts froze when he spoke of her screaming awake from her dreams. Why didn't she tell me? Was she really trying to push me away? She had brought up her mate at the ball and her 18th was in just a few days. Was she trying not to get hurt? Or was she trying to not hurt me or her future mate?

I growled lowly at him, "Let her decide ."