Chapter 24

Yunhee towel-dried her hair with a glum pout as she shuffled into her bedroom

She'd seen neither hide nor hair of Jin this morning, but when she'd awoken, she'd found his ostentatious firearm on her nightstand and a note saying that he'd nipped out for a jog along the beach.

In no rush to get up and face her third day at her grandma's house, Yunhee had lounged in bed for another thirty minutes before deciding to drag herself into the shower. She hadn't realised how long she'd lingered under the hot water until she clocked the time.

She'd been too busy berating herself for yesterday's failed attempt at getting a message to Jimin.

It was clear now; the stone reacted to water, but pouring liquid over it was not going to cut it. All it seemed to do was produce a pitiful puff of light that was neither use nor ornament to them.

And so, after two hours of trying to douse the stone while debating their element theory, Yunhee and Jin had packed up and left Gimpo with heavy hearts and a trunk full of personal items they'd collected from Daechi.

Rubbing the goosepimples blanketing her arms, Yunhee threw on her jeans and hoodie and recalled the spine-chilling fever she'd experienced outside her apartment.

Not only had Taehyung's iniquitous voice permeated her mind, but this time, she'd slipped into some sort of trance, unaware that she was walking away from Jin until he stopped her.

Neither of them spoke further on the matter as Yunhee retrieved the spare key and let them inside. All she wanted to do was erase Taehyung from her mind, and forget the fact that his whispers had lured her away like some brainless, wanton zombie.

Easier said than done when entering a household riddled with the possessions of his doppelgänger.

It was strange, stepping inside her old home after weeks of being away and calling out Tae's name to see if he were home.

There'd been no reply. A welcome yet incredibly sad relief.

Seeing their photos and private keepsakes sparked bitter-sweet memories, and as they'd moved from living room to bathroom to bedroom to accumulate her belongings, Yunhee had felt unnervingly on edge, cautious that Tae could walk in and find them invading his home at any given moment.

'You still technically live here, Yunhee,' Jin had assured while throwing a selection of useful kitchenware into a bag.' 'This is your stuff. You have a right to collect it without that knob jockey's permission.'

Yunhee had laughed nervously at his brash comment, forcing herself to relax while she gathered her clothing and a few beauty products. Tae may have been living in a rundown flat on the outskirts of Seoul, but it was obvious that he hadn't officially moved out.

The fully furnished rooms were a dead giveaway, along with the clothes that were folded neatly in the chest of drawers, the toiletries lining the bathroom shelf, and the miniature filing cabinet containing important documents at the base of the wardrobe.