Chapter 42

'Where's this so-called portal, then?' Namjoon asked as his sceptical eyes skimmed the rubbled concrete floor

'Over there,' Jimin, Jin and Yunhee replied as the woman slipped her fingers into the awaiting hand of the mob boss.

It was the first time they'd returned to the warehouse together since the night of their separation, and Jimin wondered what was going through Yunhee's mind as they lingered on the threshold of the dreary cavern housing broken crates, shattered windows and swinging ceiling lights.

Granted, he was anything but keen on the derelict building for a number of reasons himself: incarceration on a chair while taunted by the Dark Lord, landing arse first on a protruding rock after descending through an eddy of star clouds.

But there was something uniquely distinct about the atmosphere today.

Gone was the negative force he'd felt in Taehyung's presence. Instead, a positive vitality soaked into Jimin's skin and ignited his blood, stronger than ever and flowing from his palm and into Yunhee's.

'Let's have a look, then,' Namjoon sniffed as he pushed past the group carrying a pickaxe.

'Mind you don't trip,' Jin snorted, following his friend with a shovel lugged over his shoulder.

Jimin caught Yunhee's eye, his tingling fingers squeezing hers and increasing the electrical current.

'You feel that?'

'Yes.' Christ. Her smile was radiant, and after their entertaining date and steamy night of sex, he had to remind himself that they were here to do a job so that he wouldn't coax her into a corner to have his wicked way with her. 'What do you think it is?'

Jimin's eyes homed in on the inscrutable stone in the centre of the warehouse. The portal was closed, and there were no purple tendrils or blue orbs alighting the area yet, but there was an unseen energy there all the same, calling the couple closer.

'I don't know yet,' Jimin answered honestly while gazing into her curious eyes, 'but whatever it is, I have a feeling that it's ours, and it's what brought us together.'

'I believe that, too,' Yunhee agreed ardently. 'Perhaps we'll learn more once we retrieve-'

'Hurry up, you two!' Jin's weary voice echoed off the high walls and ruined their enlightening moment.

Yes, his best friend was tired and out of patience, but Jimin could hardly blame the man after staying up into the early hours to further investigate the latest calamity.

Admittedly, Jimin was feeling a little uptight himself after leaving Yunhee in bed this morning to catch up with his men. Jin had bluntly informed him over a cup of coffee that, despite him temporarily tucking away Taehyung's victory, losing the House of Cards did not bode well from a commercial perspective.