Chapter 6

Yunhee's life had been filled with endless challenges lately, but the coffee machine in front of her was her biggest to date

Jin was usually first to rise, a cup of coffee ready for her on the breakfast bar, but this morning, the man was nowhere in sight. In fact, other than a middle aged woman hoovering the deep red carpet on the landing, the mansion was virtually empty.

Trying not to panic, Yunhee searched the multitude of oak wood cupboards for a French press. To her dismay, there wasn't a basic mechanism in sight, leaving her to face a contraption that looked more like an Industrial Revolution steam engine.

Jimin loved his fresh coffee, but this device took the Michael. It was far too intricate with its vents and pipes, and it didn't help that she couldn't figure out how to turn the bloody thing on.

No, it wasn't happening.

Giving up on coffee entirely, Yunhee left the kitchen in hopes of finding Jin somewhere within the east wing.

The amount of rooms was overwhelming, a maze of passageways both upstairs and down that she'd spent her time exploring, but the elegant master bedroom she'd happened upon several days ago brought a sense of comfort.

Jimin's bedroom.

Yunhee had taken her time drifting around the beautifully decorated quarters, fingers dancing over solid wood, silk sheets and framed photos of a pretty woman with Jimin's eyes.

She'd woken in his bed the next day, expecting a full reprimanding from Jin at breakfast. To her surprise, the man had smiled, given her instructions on how to work the en suite shower, and then left her alone to eat her toast.

She'd slept in that room every night since.

Yunhee's eyes landed on the broad staircase as she roamed across the foyer, a pang of sadness touching her heart as she recalled the story of Jimin's mother, Park Areum. It was hard to imagine her death after seeing her photos, her lovely face void of all life as she lay at the bottom of the staircase.

Did Jimin relive the sickening childhood memory whenever he stood here?

Brushing away the unpleasant prospect, Yunhee opened a door to a cosy sitting room furnished with two armchairs and a matching bookshelf.

The bay window overlooked the driveway, and below it, a narrow bench filled with paisley cushions. She liked this room, imagined herself sitting here in the morning while the light filtered in and she drank coffee.

Perhaps one day, when Jimin came home...

Before her imagination could get carried away into a new life, Yunhee wandered into a neighbouring room, gasping when the scent of paper and leather hit her nose.

'Really, Jimin?' she croaked as her gaze swept over row after row of neatly lined books. 'You own a library?'

'Good morning, trouble.'