Chapter 33

Daylight had long diminished, the shuttered lodging resting under a blanket of night as Jimin chucked strips of wood into the car

Daylight had long diminished, the shuttered lodging resting under a blanket of night as Jimin chucked strips of wood into the car. His skin glistened with sweat, the flesh beneath his armpits chafing against the leather jacket protecting him from the breeze. But he didn't care.

It was time to leave and burn the shit out of the stone that had brought nothing but grief since the day he and Yunhee had been cruelly ripped apart.

Seizing the last can of gasoline, he wedged it into the corner of the trunk, blinking away the wave of vertigo threatening to surmount him. He really needed to eat something, but food was the last thing on his mind, and would be until Yunhee was safe.

Namjoon was still indoors bagging up a few extra supplies after saying that he'd be with him in a minute. That was five minutes ago, and Jimin was now out of patience. He was ready to walk inside and drag the idiot out by the scruff of the neck, but the sound of tyres crunching over gravel drew his attention.

Vehicle headlights approached, bumping along the dusty road towards the beach house as Jimin curiously peeked around the back of the car. He wasn't sure if it were the bright beams that made his eyesight distort, but he had to grip the trunk, or he'd have lurched sideways from the tsunami of dizziness crashing over him.

This was no food deficiency. Their two universes were merging again.

'Yunhee...'

Jimin wobbled away from the car with a stomach laced with butterflies as the newcomer came to a halt on the road. He ached for it to be her. Ached for just a few seconds in her presence so that he could tell her to go inside and wait for him.

He was on his way home. He'd be with her in a few hours.

The engine withered, the door swung open, and Jimin squinted through the darkness when a man with an indistinguishable face hopped out. He wanted to believe it was his trusted companion, but the stranger's frame was too lithe, his shoulders too narrow, his hair a far cry from Jin's thick, raven locks.

Jimin briskly shook his head to try and shake off the mirage he was trapped inside as the guy retrieved a take-out bag from the passenger seat. When he slammed the door shut, the bubble popped, and his features came into focus.

It was Jung Hoseok, now leaning against the car while staring straight through him with an ominous leer.

Jimin ceased breathing, afraid that one tiny movement would alert the man to his presence. He knew that he was invisible, that Hoseok was gazing at the residence behind him, but that terrified him more.

Hoseok abandoned the vehicle and walked in his direction, his cruel eyes not leaving the dwelling as Jimin backed up to keep himself between him and the woman he knew to be inside. He tried to convince himself that it was her best friend Hobi, that the little bag of grub swinging from his fingers was a gesture of amity, but the Glock tucked into his waistband told him otherwise.