•41•

~Flashback~
Pt.1

We leave for our mission in a week and I'm still sleeping down in the basement. I've actually started to identify different rats now. I've named three of them; Sebastian, Finch, and Rosie. It's the only thing keeping me busy in the dark moldy room.

"Jeagers!" I hear a guard yell. "Ready for your first rest day?"

Miche opens my cell and walks over to me with a gentle smile. He takes my shackles into his hands and unlocks them.

They fall to the ground with a loud clanging sound. I slide my legs off the bed and stand up as Miche leaves my cell.

"Oh I forgot about Eren," he laughs. "You're my favorite twin, so I came to you first."

"As you should," I grin and he leaves me to change into my off duty clothes.

I throw on a loose off-the-shoulders white long-sleeve blouse, a dark brown skirt that reaches to my ankles, and a black corset with the strings in the front.

I sit down on my bed again and grab my white socks, pulling them on and then slipping into my black dress shoes.

With a sigh, I stand up and look in the mirror, trying to tie the corset on comfortably. I like this style because the strings are in the front and it makes it easier to tighten.

My eyes travel from my shoes up to my chest and I see Levi standing behind me, leaning against the stone wall.

"Don't just sneak up like that," I jump.

"Sorry," he stares at me. "Are you looking forward to your day off?"

"Well there's not much to do out here, but yeah. Are you?" I grab my moms necklace from the top of my drawer.

"I won't be doing anything. I don't ever get a day off," he pushes off the wall and takes the necklace from my hands.

His slender fingers unclasp the gold jewelry and he stands behind me. I face the mirror and move all my hair to the right side.

Levi wraps his hands around me and I feel the cold necklace against my neck. He clips the back of it and I put my hair back.

"Thanks," I touch the necklace.

"Was that your moms?" He glances at it.

"Yeah..." I smile. "She gave it to me on my birthday when I was little."

I think back to my sixth birthday and dad was gone, so mom made sure Eren and I had an extra special birthday. Eren got a sling shot and I got moms necklace that she had growing up.

"My mom would always pick roses from a garden and place them at our dining table," I look at the gold circle that has a engraved rose on the front.

"That's nice," his voice comes out softer than usual. "Well I heard some of the cadets from your class are going out for a picnic. Maybe you could join?"

"Why are you... being so nice to me?" I ask him.

"I'm not. Just providing you with some useful information," he turns and walks out.

I narrow my eyes and smile as he leaves. He is definitely being nice to me. My shoes cause an echo among the basement walls as I walk up the steps to the main floor.

The sun is out and I'm guessing it's around ten. They usually come and let Eren and I out around eight, but since it's everyone's resting day, they probably slept in.

"Sophie!" I hear someone yell and as I turn, they collide into me.

I let out a painful moan from collapsing on the ground with a heavy body on top of me. The back of my head smacked against the ground and I'm now having a hard time opening my eyes.