Chapter 17: Mom's Song

We stay there for a few hours at Mom's grave. We spent all of our time talking to her and telling her about Natsu's and Gray's fights, Yukino and Sting's relationship, my new friendship with Erza and Levy, and basically everything else about school. We didn't tell Dad first because we wanted to tell them when they were together, like old times. I also set down some red flowers that our gardener gave me before we left to come visit.

Dad was patting Sting on the back, saying that next time he wanted Yukino to come too. I wish the others could come to visit, but they didn't and couldn't know that we were the Heartfilia children. I swear, sometimes my dragon slayer magic is a curse. But I also don't want them to find out about mom, so I guess it's good for an excuse.

When we left and returned to the mansion, the maids have prepared food for us. I looked at the antique but still working clock against the wall, and saw that it was dinner time. We had come to visit at 1pm. I can't believe we've been at Mom's grave for almost 4 hours. I wouldn't have it any other way though. We wouldn't see her until our next visit, so I wanted to be there for as long as possible today.

We ate, and it was now 6pm and we had half an hour before we had to leave. We were in the living room with our servants, and Wendy had just won her third game of Clue. Sting, on the other hand was annoyed and shocked.

"How are you so good at this?!" He asked her.

Wendy giggled and shrugged. Miss Spetto looked proudly at her. "She learns fast, unlike you, Master Sting." She says cheekily.

Sting grumbled and the rest of us laughed. Dad chuckled. He then looked like he had an idea. He turned to me.

"Lucy, how about we go to the music room and you can sing a song with the piano. I want to see if you've improved by taking my advice from last time." He suggests.

I nodded, smiling at him. It's been awhile since I've sang. We walked to the room and I sat down behind the piano. I started tuning it the way mom had taught me. When I finished, I put my fingers delicately above the keys, hovering. I looked back at everyone, and they nodded, waiting patiently. I took a deep breath and started playing a gentle melody. I could feel Wendy smiling at me. This was hers and Mom's favorite song after all. The others didn't know what song it was by the intro, because mom never played the piano while singing it. When the intro reached a certain spot, I started singing.

Symphony - Clean Bandit -Cover by Madilyn Bailey

I've been hearing symphonies
Before all I heard was silence
A rhapsody for you and me
And every melody is timeless

Life was stringing me along
then you came and you cut me loose
Was solo singing on my own
Now I can't find the key without you

I heard Wendy start singing the pre chorus with me. This was her favorite part.

And now you song is on repeat
And I'm dancing on to your heartbeat
And when your gone I feel incomplete so if you want the truth

Wendy stopped singing when this part came. I continued.

I just wanna be part of your symphony
Will you hold me tight and not let go
Symphony
Like a love song on the radio
Will you hold me tight and not let go

Symphony
Will you hold me tight and not let go

I ended the song there since I was almost crying. I remember how mom used to sing that song to us and everyone else while the servants were on their break.

I turned around and everyone looked shocked, even Sting. Dad was smiling at us proudly.

Wait, us?

I looked next to me and saw Wendy looking up at me from the spot next to me on the piano bench. I smiled at her.

"Wendy can sing?!" Sting asked- well, almost yelled.

I nodded, and Wendy immediately realized what she did and turned into a tomato. Wendy doesn't like to sing in front of anyone but me. Whenever Sting is out of the house and it's just me and her, we sing together. I helped her improve her voice. We saw Dad with a proud face.

"Now we have two talented daughters, Layla. And they sound as angelic as you." He said, not so much to us but to mom. We smiled at the thought mom would be proud of us. Wendy was still looking like a tomato though.

Dad then looked at me and suddenly said, "Now since when could you sing those high notes, Lucille Heartfilia."

I looked down and blushed from embarrassment. Dad chuckled. They asked both me and Wendy to sing again, so we sang a few more short versions of the songs we both like, and then it was time to leave. We were gifted food to take home made by the servants, and the 3 of us gave Dad a huge hug.

As we were about to get in our car, Dad smirked and shouted at Sting, "Don't forget to bring my soon-to-be daughter-in-law next time you visit!"

Sting blushed and muttered something under his breath, which made all of us laugh.

"Oh don't worry, we will!" I shouted back at him, returning his smirk.

Wendy giggled at Sting. "Now onii-san is a tomato!"

I couldn't help but laugh at the way she said it. I agreed. "Sting, just don't be too flustered to drive, okay?"

He muttered something else that even me and Wendy couldn't hear, and he started the car. We waved to our family as we pulled out of the driveway, leaving. We weren't only waving to them, we were waving goodbye to the house, the memories both good and bad, and Mom. We got home and I carried a sleeping Wendy to her room. I woke her up gently, and she changed into her pajamas and stumbled back to bed. I said goodnight to her and walked out closing her door. I walked to Sting's room and knocked twice. After no answer, I left back to my room, knowing he had gone to sleep. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, I actually am the one that takes care of my siblings. I changed out of my own clothes and collapsed on the bed tiredly, falling asleep.

I dreamed of Mom that night.

Author's Note:

Heyo people! Another cliffhanger, hehe. 😅 Anyways, I just wanted to say that a new Jerza story is out. My GrayLu story is taking a bit longer than I thought, so I thought I'd publish something else instead while I work on my GrayLu story. The first 4 chapters of Jerza are published, and I'm publishing another tomorrow. Once again, I know this is a NaLu story and I'm sorry, but this story has the most views. Also, the reason my GrayLu story is taking so long is because it has 45 chapters right now. I'm estimating it to be around 50 chapters. Let me tell you right now, if you like Natsu, then MOST of the story with him is revolved around him being mean to Lucy. So I'm just warning you about that, without trying to ruin the plot. Thanks for reading and voting, bye.