Chapter 22: Fortunes

Levy's eyes sparkles as she looked at Nevaeh in awe. She was even more amazed by her then my walls. I have to admit, when I first saw her I reacted exactly the same. So did Yukino and Wendy, and even Sting and Rogue, too. The thing that makes Nevaeh so pretty is her fur, and her bright blue eyes. Her golden fur shines, even when there's no sun or light. Her eyes look like a mixture of the sky and the sparkling sea. It's easy to lose track of time by looking at her. We had to snap Levy out of her little trance.

"Can I pet her? Levy asked softly. It sounded like she was afraid of scaring her if she spoke too loudly.

"I don't know if she'd let you. She's very skittish around new people. It took her a couple months to get used to us when I first got her. I'll put her down so she can sniff your hand," I said.

I stopped petting Nevaeh and placed her down gently in front of Levy, who held her hand out in front of her. Nevaeh slowly walked towards her and sniffed, then rubbed against it. Levy pet her gently and she started purring softly. Levy smiled at her. Nevaeh was only a kitten, unlike Carla and Lector, and she took a while trusting others. Nevaeh seemed to really like Levy, so I asked Levy if she wanted me to put her in her lap. She nodded and I picked the kitten up and placed her, and she immediately pawed at her skirt and then laid down, curling up.

"Wow she's so warm!" Levy said and she pet her some more.

"I know right? She sleeps on my bed at night and I can feel her warmth through the blanket." I replied.

We talked for a while until my door opened some more and an awoken Sting and Natsu came in with Lector.

Sting looked at Nevaeh in Levy's lap and smiled. "So I see she's warmed up to Levy, huh?" He said.

I nodded, smiling. Sting picked up Lector, who climbed on Sting's shoulder and sat. Lector did this a lot. It's just something he likes to do I guess. He either sits on Sting's shoulder or walks right beside him. He was loyal to Sting and only him, and Yukino too actually.

Natsu came in and saw Carla. "You guys have cats too?" He asked. I don't think he saw Nevaeh yet since she's so small.

"Yep! Do you?" Wendy asked.

"Yeah actually. His name's Happy. I may have accidentally mistaken permanent blue dye for cat shampoo during one of his baths, so now he's blue." He laughed. We gaped at him, not believing his stupidity.

"It's true actually," said Levy, " I've been to his house for a project after school once and got really shocked when seeing a blue cat dart to the door to welcome Natsu home. He was so cute! Not as cute as Nevaeh though, sorry Natsu."

"Who's Nevaeh?" Natsu asked.

I got up and so did Levy, carefully picking up Nevaeh as she did. She handed her to me, away from Natsu's view, and sat back down as the cat got comfortable in my arms. I walked over to Natsu and showed her to him.

"This Natsu, is Nevaeh, my golden kitten." I said, looking at her softly in my arms.

"Woah. That's one awesome cat ya got there, Luce," He said.

"Thanks! She's shy though," I replied.

"Can I bring Happy over here sometime? I know he'd be happy to meet Carla, Lector, and Nevaeh." He asked.

"Yeah that'd be great." I agreed.

"Carla needs a new playmate!" Wendy said happily.

"Lector could use another friend as well. Frosch does too I believe." Sting said looking at Rogue for confirmation. Levy and Natsu looked confused.