4. Interrogation

1.07.20

Benji's POV

"Of course I didn't. I would never put so many lives on the line like that. I would think what with all the psychological profiling you people force onto me you would know that."

"So you know we've been observing you; aren't you a smart cookie."

"You don't make an effort to hide it."

"That's where you're wrong. We do much to hide exactly how long we watch you. Every second of every day of your life has been monitored. We know exactly what you've done, so just give yourself up already. After years of testing we found out that every one of your kind has an individual magic sample, and we now have yours. You don't have a chance." 

The game of cat and mouse continues... The only question laying in the air is who can outbrain the other first. He's trying to get at my empathy, and I'm not certain but I think that he may be bluffing about all of this. He thinks that he can get at me, but he has no idea how much energy I've put into hiding my private affairs. I memorized all of the camera locations and wiretaps in our house, I know the schedule of their undercover officers that live as our neighbors, and to top it all off, he's completely wrong about the magic. Yes, everyone has their own signal, but mine has become distorted from age and disuse. The one they stole from me fifty years ago isn't accurate at all, the lab work won't count as evidence. However, if I behave as if I'm caught now, it will be documented. I'd be damned if they weren't recording this session, so I was only able to think of one true response to the words. "Sir, even if you have been watching me more than I think you are, you wouldn't find anything. I don't know what your bogus accusations of me are, but they aren't true. Under the United States Constitution, I can't be convicted without evidence. You won't be taken seriously."

"You're wrong."

"Whatever you say."

"Charlie, bring in the 'motivation'." I looked over at the door as they carried in my crying son, but I wouldn't allow myself to be rocked by the sight. Deep down on the inside I want to give in, but years of having to hold up a hardened shell no matter the circumstance trained me well. All I want to do now is to comfort my crying child, but I know they wouldn't let me. Still, I did walk over and try to take him because that's what they would predict for me to do. "No, you can't touch him until you admit what you did."

"I won't admit falsely. This isn't legal, I refuse to speak anymore until I can have a lawyer." The man's jaw seemed to drop at my intelligence, and I gave him a patronizing smile. They aren't allowed to deny me an attorney whether or not I'm a warlock. 

"Well call him then."

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket before dialling a number that wasn't really a lawyer if I'm being totally honest. Instead, I was calling one of my personal friends that, while he had some law background, was mostly going to work as a messenger for me. "This is William Chestner."

"Will, I need you."

"What can I do for you?"

"I've been arrested and I'm in need of a lawyer at 1603 Olive Road." The words were an exact script of a plan we had hatched for if the entire world fell apart for me. It might seem obvious to anyone looking at the letters, but luckily the people in the room were just listening to me speak. Heck, half of them weren't even hearing our conversation. They were all too busy talking to each other to pay attention, and they had turned off the camera since bribing someone to talk is not exactly legal.

"Password."

"Yes, that's right. They're starting to get angry."

"I need to stop for a sandwich then I'll be there."

"Hurry." I hung up the phone, and it was taken from my grasp almost right away. I guess I don't get to keep it how sad. Mason was still reaching for me, but he was behind a layer of glass now where I couldn't get him... I don't like this, I don't want them to be touching my son... I have to maintain my cold exterior though or it could be bad news for all of us. 

After almost an entire hour, Will finally came into the room. He was looking all official, but we both knew what was going on below the surface. It's impossible that he hadn't understanded my message. I still can't figure out how he's still alive, but we can get to that later. I just need the world to fall into place already. "Put his child down," he commanded with the force of an alpha wolf even though his position was truly much lower than that, and the person obliged out of fear. I don't like the method, but the outcome was desirable so I didn't care. Sometimes the ends justifies the means; I think that I've finally learned that after all this time. These people don't care about all the pain they cause while they try to prosecute me into not being a public figure anymore, so I have to adopt the mentality against them that nothing is off limits. I don't like to hurt civilians, but I won't hesitate to bite back if you attack me.

Mason ran over to me, and I picked him up before someone could take him away again. My poor boy is crying and I need to something about it as his father and guardian; they won't stop me from doing that. I rocked him comfortingly, and it didn't take long for him to stop his tears. Will was officially shouting at the interrogators, and I think that they're getting close to just breaking down and letting me go which is the best result I can hope to get from bringing in William. I know that he has an arguing problem and that's exactly what I was looking for. "Alright! Alright fine we have no real evidence against him, he can go home."

"Thank you." His voice was layered with threats and frustration just in the tone, and even I didn't want to cross him right now. His sassy words made the interrogator look at him like a meth addict, but he didn't mind as he lead me out. Mikey was released out to us, and we went home as if nothing had happened that was just scarring. I stared down at the floor, and his hand rubbed between my shoulders gently as soon as we went home. We went together to one of the surveillance dead spots, and I could feel his shock that we were even back at home. Mason was playing in the living room, and I felt complete.

"How did you fool them so well?"

"As far as I'm concerned, we were playing a game of metaphorical chess. It was all about which one of us cracked first, and it was them."

"But how did you crack them so easily? They question people for a living."

"Turns out Will is very good at intimidation."

"Oh... Well I'm just glad that we're here."

"Me too... Now we just wait."