24. Angel

2.1.21

Connor's POV

The constant thrum of my car's engine was beginning to drill into my mind, and I was getting kind of tired of seeing the same type of road everywhere I went. Why did the stupid council members have to pick cities in all different corners of the country? It was probably to reach the largest group of people, but it's getting pretty annoying to have to drive to all of them in just a few days. I've been taking an optimized path, and a lot of the scenery isn't horrible. However, the amount of traffic was absurd. I would have expected people to be hunkered down preparing for the war. However, they were going through life like nothing was wrong, and I was worried that the government had told them not to get out. It was straight-up lying if they were told the war was no danger to them; we were angry, and there would be a lot of destruction.

I finally arrived at the last city after 8 days of nothing but driving, and I quickly climbed the steps up into the building. I didn't want to be shot by the enemy for no reason, after all. I went in, and I was on my way to the office of the angel council member. Though, before I could get there, I heard voices in a different room. They were quiet, but it was still evident from my advanced hearing that I wasn't going crazy.

I stopped my movement to listen for their words, and what I heard was both frightening and empowering at the same time. There were a few humans in the crowd, and everyone was talking about taking down the government. I don't know what changed that got humans into our good graces, but I was glad that some of them had come to their senses.

I continued walking after making sure they were friendly to our cause, and it only took a few more moments for me to reach the angel's office. I knocked twice before being let in, and I was kind of weirded out almost immediately. The person before me looked like an overly energetic walking cotton candy. I was surprised that someone like him could keep control of the angels. Then again, no one really expects Benji to be a good fit, and he still is. I guess I should know first hand not to judge a book by its cover.

"How may I help you," he chirped, and I felt a few nerves come over me. He's so important; I can't mess this up, or I'll look like a massive dumbass.

"I have the uh-" don't stumble over your words, "I have the declaration for you to sign."

"Why should I sign these," he asked like he was oblivious to what was going on outside of his own window, and I was back to judging him. What kind of idiot asks that?

"We need your signature before we can send it off to the humans."

"Hand over the papers, then." I was distracted by his pink hair as he bent over signing the work I had done, but there was still a slight frown on his face.

"Thank you," I muttered, trying to keep the confusion out of my voice.

"Is there anything else you need?"

"Nope."

"I'll walk you to the front door." He led me through the winding halls, and it didn't take long before we arrived at the front steps. He gave me a giddy smile before skipping away to do something else, and I was left to go back to my car by myself. Now I just have to drive 4 hours to get back to Newfolk and mail it to the humans. Clearly, Benji is doing something right since the town hasn't been destroyed by humans yet.

When I entered his office, though, he was nowhere to be found, and the entire place smelled like humans. Maybe they were able to invade without leaving a mark. "Oh, Connor, you're back," he called from the door while walking in. I was still alarmed by the scent, but at least he was alright.

"Why does it smell so strongly of them? Benji, are you hiding something from me?"

"Oh, calm down. I just haven't gotten around to telling you yet since you've been all over the country. I managed to convince two humans that the way they were taught was wrong. They went back to their camp and spread the news, so now we have more forces; isn't that exciting?" His eyes were sparkling at the achievement of stealing people from the enemy, and I have to say that it was pretty smart. The more people we can convert, the less we have to hurt or possibly kill in an upcoming battle. Benji always comes up with new ways to keep the peace that surprise me. I mean, if he was able to convince two humans their entire life's teaching is wrong, he must be pretty good at words.

"You did remember to keep a few on the inside, correct? We need spies as well as people to help us fight."

"I did. I'm not totally incompetent, Connor."

"I know you aren't; I'm just saying that sometimes you get so excited you don't remember to think."

"Whatever."

We both shared a laugh, and I couldn't be happier. We were on top of the world for now. I know that it wouldn't take much to knock us down a peg or two, but we can enjoy it in the time being. "I can't wait to sleep for five years. I've been in the car nonstop for weeks."

"I know you must be hurting. Oh, I should probably tell you before you find out on your own. Your father is currently staying with us."

"Why is he here!?" I barked instantly. He and I aren't exactly the best of buds right now, and I'm not exactly thrilled that Benji allowed him to squat here without asking me first.

"He came to me looking like a wreck. You know that I can't turn someone away when they're so obviously struggling. I was able to help him out a bit with the things that have been hurting him."

"He's been hurting himself! He pushed my papa away so many times; there's no reason he should receive forgiveness."

"Everyone deserves a second chance, and he isn't an exception."

"Fine, you can think that. I stand firm on my stance, though." He crossed his arms, and I was entertained by the pouty face he had. He was showing off some of the immaturity he had off at the moment. It's kind of strange how strong his opinion is; maybe he knows something about my father that I don't. I mean, I only have one perspective, and he has multiple. I should have a conversation with him.

"That's all I have for you. Please get the declaration of war mailed out by 2pm tomorrow. We want it to get to the humans before the weekend."

"I will. Good night, Benji."

"Night."