38. Goddess

2.18.21

Benji's POV

Once Connor left, I began to think about some things that we could do to combat the humans. They may have been pretty dangerous, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. First of all, there are a few spells I found in Genova's apartment. They worked directly on causing extreme pain without being fatal. Of course, that wouldn't be as effective as I would hope since it would also pain the people on our side. If they didn't have a part to play in this, I could always come up with a different magic combination that would. I know that the people in this building only expect me to be here to lead. I know that I can do so much more than that, so that isn't going to be an option for me. I can't just sit by watching people get hurt while there's something I can do about it; no way.

I continued to think about it well into the next morning without stopping for a second. Whoever Connor had assigned to do the scouting was due to give me the information tonight, and I was pretty worried that it would derail all of my previous plans. I really want to do the best to organize this correctly.

There was a knock at my door, and I assumed that it was Connor coming to visit. I've gotten used to him doing it multiple times a day, so it was a little bit of a shock when he didn't come at all yesterday. It makes me wonder what he was doing, but it isn't my business to pry into it. I'm sure that whatever he was spending his time with, he's having a decent time doing so. I know that having a child in the medical ward was not helping with his mental stability, so I was willing to wait for him to get used to it. I know that he needs a bit of time to recover his brain from the whole Varian situation, and I'm going to be as supportive as I possibly can. After all, that is the only way for me to be sure that he is alright in the head. He means a lot to me as a friend.

I called for the person on the other side to come in, and I was shocked to see that the moon goddess was back in my office. Oh no, what did I do wrong this time? Or was it that I hadn't done anything wrong, and she's just here to congratulate me on doing something good? I don't know, this woman scares me a lot sometimes.

"Benjamin Evans... You've really outdone yourself." Her tone sounds positive, but the words can be constrewed either way. All I know is that if she's about to yell at me, I'll be prepared. I've already braced myself for harsh words.

"How so, ma'am," I asked with a confident voice. I may be feeling a lot of doubts deep in my mind, but she doesn't need to know that. I don't want to seem like a pussy in front of the person who is in control of me. It would be the worst tradegy since the destruction of our way of life... Maybe I shouldn't joke about that, even in my head. A lot worse things have happened since then, including death, imprisonment, and a lot of pain. I shouldn't be thinking things that I would never say out loud. Then again, I guess that really is the point. I think them so that I don't have to say them out loud... I don't know any more, I should be listening to her talk.

"You've managed to get the humans to declare war on us."

"Yes, I did do that. Is there a problem? I was just trying to get a little bit of movement going so that we wouldn't lose hope in our own cause."

"No, I think that it's great. You've made it so that we can attack them without feeling like it's morally wrong. I've been waiting for that kind of excuse for weeks. Tell me, how did you do it? I want all of the juicy details."

"It wasn't me, really. It was Connor, he was the one to write up our own statement on why we were rebelling. It was the thing to set everything into motion."

"Yes, but who told him to do that. Benjamin, this is the best thing that you've done for our kind in years. No longer do we have to cower in only defense; we can move on to offense."

"Really, it wasn't just me. Connor deserves some of the credit for what happened. It was him who did most of the work! He drove it around so that everyone could sign it too!"

"Your friend is a bit of a... Well he isn't to be desired. He's not the right person to lead this revolution. He's too soft, and he doesn't have the right mindset to push himself above what he knows. He's not willing to bend for anything if you know what I mean. Your friend has just little enough demon that he doesn't get anything done. He focuses on keeping himself from doing the bad things, and doesn't do any good."

"He is helping me, and I don't want you to be talking about him like that. Connor is my best friend, and you coming in here and slandering him is not acceptable to me. You are the same kind of person that oppresses demons just because they have a few mental issues with how their brains are structured. Actually, you're exactly like that. You can be fair, but sometimes you just aren't. It's rude, and I'm tired of it."

"There, that's why I want you. You have the fire in you that leads you to stand up for what you believe in. You didn't let me walk all over him. Before you get all fired up, I didn't mean what I said. I was hoping to make you feel enough to see just how strong the emotions inside of you is."

"Seriously, you think that telling me that my friend is useless is a good way to test me!? That's massively fucked up."

"I don't want to hear about it. You're not the first person I've done it to; that's actually one of the things I require in an interview to work for me. I need people who have promise close to me. I know that he has it in him to have that, but not as much as you. You're so special that I couldn't even hope to replace you. It's so exciting to me to see so much potential for you to be great. You just don't have to confidence to do so, and it's my job to give that to you."

"I don't need your help with confidence. I'm perfectly fine on my own, and you being that was isn't going to do shit to make me better or worse."

"Whatever you say, Benjamin. Now, I have a few requests of you, are you ready to listen?"

"Fine, just spit it out."