25. Story

2.2.21

Benji's POV

I know that my keeping Oliver here ruffled Connor's feathers, but there wasn't anything he could do to change my mind. I know the difference between someone forgetting the right path versus never knowing it in the first place. I can see the slightest changes in someone's personality, and it helps me with their character. I know that Oliver has done some wrongs in the past, but that doesn't mean that he can't redeem himself. He may not be perfect, but no one is. I know that full-blooded demons have issues keeping their instincts in check. I don't know much about his past, but he shouldn't be painted as the bad guy. All he did was make a simple mistake.

Speaking of Oliver, I should probably go check in on him. I don't want him to do anything rash from not having anyone to talk to. When I entered his room, he was just sitting at the desk, staring out of the window. His red eyes were hollow and bagged, and I couldn't help but feel a little bit of his pain. He had lost so much over the past month, and I know that he hadn't been expecting it. 

I've been acting as his therapist since he came to me in the office. It's grown difficult not to notice how much shit he's gone through. The poor man just needs a break, and no one was giving it to him. I know how it can feel to have the weight of the world on your back, so I have a lot of sympathy for him. He's been through so much that I've grown to understand why he messed up along the way. The amount of pain he went through would drive any man over the edge, and I'm honestly surprised he hadn't gone there already.

"You're back," he breathed, his voice sounding like a road to nothing. He turned his head towards me, and the look he was giving made me feel slightly nauseous. It was almost like he was judging me, but I know that he isn't. I like to think that we've become friends, but that would just be a crack dream. It's more like I'm a worker at a senior care facility, and he's that one old man that needs his diapers changed every few seconds.

"Yeah, I am. I brought you some food." I handed him a plate of spaghetti, and he gave it a strange look before taking a bite. I watched him eat, feeling satisfied that he was at least eating the food I had made him. I know that nothing can compare to what Devon could cook, so having someone go from his meals to mine without complaining made me happy. 

"You're too kind for your own good."

"I try."

"No, seriously. I don't deserve any ounce of the kindness you're showing me, but you still are. I don't know how it makes me feel... Happy?"

"I can't read your mind, sir."

"Right. I forget you're only so good at reading people that it looks like you're a mind reader. Tell me, Benjamin, has my son come back yet?"

"He just got back today."

"I'm assuming that you told him of my presence? You don't seem like the kind of person to lie like that."

"Of course I did. You know me."

"What did he respond? I want your full honesty, Benjamin. Don't lie to me on this."

"He wasn't thrilled. He tried to convince me to throw you out."

"I knew that he and his papa were in contact. Would you please bring him here so that I can tell him how it really happened?"

"You still haven't told me the real reason that you split up."

"You may listen in on the conversation."

"Why do you want to speak to him."

"I won't be able to convince him I'm right from a few words, but it might make him think. I want him to have both sides of the story and make his own conclusion. Whether or not Devon is manipulating him, the kid needs to know everything. From both of us."

"I'll bring him here as long as he lets me." I walked out of the room, and he sat back in his chair. The town hall was bustling with life at the moment, and the humans I had brought in were mixing well with everyone else. We really can get along with the same goal in mind. 

I walked into Connor's room, and as expected, he was dead asleep. The curtains were drawn closed so that the room was dark as night, and I had a bit of trouble finding the light switch. When I turned it on, he was on his stomach, snoring loudly. I didn't want to wake him, but he has to wake up at some point. I snuck over to the small kitchenette and grabbed some pots and pans with a smirk on my face. I wasted no time before slamming them together, and the harsh sound caused him to fall out of the air mattress he was lying on.

"Benji, what the hell!?" he shouted, jumping up from the floor. His hair was askew, and it looked pretty goofy. 

"It's time to wake up."

"Why? I just got back. Unless there are toxic humans in the square, I don't want to hear it."

"I came to get you because your father wants to talk to you."

"Benji, will you please stop with that? I don't want to be near him."

"I know what you think, but you need to hear his side of the story. Please?"

"Fine, but you have to buy me dinner after."

"Deal."

We walked together down the hallway, and I could tell that he really didn't want to be awake right now. It was a quiet journey as people were beginning to go to bed. We didn't seem to mind, though, because it was some time to just talk. We haven't gotten this opportunity since he left. The scent of humans was kind of offputting to me, but I didn't really mind since it went hand in hand with success. 

We arrived at Oliver's room, and I was glad to smell that he was at least alive. I have a great fear that one day I'll come to the room, and it won't smell as positive... I shouldn't let that get to me. I'm supposed to remain positive as part of my duties to him. I knocked on the door softly, and his exhausted voice responded with a come in. I could feel Connor's shock at how far the man had fallen in just a few days, but he didn't let it show on the outside. I know he wants to appear like he has no position, but I'm hoping that he's still open to what his father says. This is very important.

"Thank you, Benji, for bringing him. Connor, please have a seat."

He sat down, and the black-haired man took a deep breath before starting his story...