14. Moon

1.19.20

Benji's POV

I was working with my director of combat and resource management when a body came crashing through my window, and my first instinct was to jump on the intruder. What, when there's a war going on there isn't much else better to do. For all I know it could be someone that wants to hurt me and the people in this facility, and I'm not going to let that happen. "Ow ow ow I'm sorry let me up," a familiar voice piped up, and I immediately jumped off of my friend. He sat up rubbing his forehead, and I gave him a tight hug before jumping into the questions.

"Where have you been? Why did you have to break my window? Why did your city go so wrong?"

"I got trapped in a supernatural prison... I wasn't able to get out until now. Those things are really secure. My wing is pretty damaged from running into a wind turbine so I couldn't land gracefully, and I'm pretty sure we lost our fight because of how good the citizens were at using guns. It was kind of creepy; everyone in that town suddenly became an enemy. I heard that this place did pretty well; I'm proud of you."

"I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm okay, but a lot of the people in that place aren't. I have a new reason to fight; the life in there was horrible... I wouldn't wish that upon anyone."

"Explain how? I mean I have no doubt that you're correct, but there has to be a specific situation you can use to convey it to me a bit better."

"Look at you with your adult words; Mr. Smith would be proud."

"Shut up and tell me the answer."

"Well, the food was good, but that was about the end of the pleasantries in that place. They had mastered cutting off magic, and the place was absolutely massive; impossible to traverse even with good stamina. I spent many hours planning and planning again, and even what I did was a gamble. I didn't know if they changed the way that the guards did their rounds every so often or what. I actually lost my shoe."

"Well they have built it so that people shouldn't be able to escape. I am impressed that you managed."

"I didn't leave totally uninjured," he reminded before sticking out his leathery wing, and I could see the large scrape across it. I made a hissing noise with my mouth at the sight, and he rolled his eyes at me. "It isn't as bad as it looks; I'm lucky I didn't lose the whole thing."

"It's still pretty terrible. Are you still able to fight?"

"I think that I might be able to, but I'm not 100% certain. I don't know if the powder they used on me is still in effect or if I'm just that out of shape that I can't get air into my lungs after exercise. I guess the short answer is that I will have to do some experimentation with it."

"Alright. We were kind of in the middle of a meeting, do you mind excusing yourself for a little while? I'm glad that you're okay but we do need to be prepared if the humans try to siege the city."

"Can I just ask a few more questions?"

"Depends what about."

"I just want to know what the effects of the launch were."

"It went as your father intended; we won 4 out of the six cities, and that record was enough to encourage battles in every other country. We have the advantage now since the humans can't band together without losing control of their own land. We've backed them into a corner."

"Alright, thank you. I'll get out now." He waved slightly before walking out on his way to the medical ward, and I turned back to the man I was talking to before. I really didn't like him much; he was very much supportive of killing all humans; even the ones that had done nothing against us. However, I didn't really have a say since Oliver had assigned him to our city, so I just did my best to keep him reigned in with my own position in the hierarchy. Even if he disagreed, I was above him, and he was to listen to my words.

 By the time the meeting was over, I wanted to take my head and slam it into my solid wood desk. Everything he suggests is so cruel that I have to wonder if he even had morals at all, and I first got the thought that maybe Oliver had done this on purpose in order to balance out my peaceful spirit. Most of the time our arguments ended in a compromise that wasn't Machiavellian but also wasn't totally passive. It was a good way to take two polar opposites and even it out into a rock-hard plan that was well thought out.

I wandered down the hallway to try and find Connor, but my eyes were met with someone else. Wait, isn't that... I dropped down into a kneel like a lot of the others in the hallway, but the person didn't seem to be pleased by what I had just done. Oh heaven help me.

"Stand Benjamin Evans, we are equals," she declared in a voice with instructions clear as day, and I stood up off of my position on the ground. I looked up at her face, and I was struck by the beauty that had been described to me many times before. The woman standing before me was one of the precious few that had more authority than even I did; the only one that presided over every earth born supernatural. The Moon Goddess. It was impossible to be one of my kind and not know who she was; Riverside had spent an entire month showing us the history and life of the important woman. In fact, many considered her to be the moon herself. I mean, I didn't since the human society had taught me about real science, but there were superstitions and such that make others believe that. Whatever, they're allowed to think whatever they want to.

"I don't think we are really. You're obviously higher up than me I'm only 137, and I don't have anywhere near the amount of influence you do."

"In a way you have more. You are my link to the people; I see you on the same playing field as myself. Now, we need to speak."

"Oh, uh, okay." Alright, don't make a fool out of yourself from the combination of being flustered and nervous, Benji. "Please follow me to my office," I squeaked out, and the voice crack made me want to kick my own ass. Good job me. As I walked down the hallway, I could almost feel her judging me with her eyes. I mean, I know that my posture is the worst thing ever, but I really don't like being stared at especially from behind. By the time I got to my office, I was sweatier than an Olympic athlete. I was able to hide it by putting on a jacket, and I sat behind my desk as she began to speak. Jesus, help me.