53:MEMENTO

JESSICA

Time came to rest as I recalled all the times I should've paid attention to all the signs.

I should've known Marcus was his father when I saw the resemblance in the eyes. I should've questioned Jason's reliance upon Marcus. It should've clicked when Marcus told me I reminded him of someone he knew. Just last night,he said I reminded me of Nano. That was unmistakably Naomi. My one and only mother. The dream about Victor and Jason I recently had should've meant something. It should've spoken to me. Jason was never chosen by Camberley, he always had Lycanthropy in his blood. God,how foolish I was.

It was funny how all the clues were left there,unburied for me to see but I never did. I just felt so angry at myself right now and I craved nothing than a hot slap across my face. How could I be so dumb? So blind?

"That is quite a revelation." I finally breathed. It was only now that I realized I had been holding my breath in.

"I hope you understand now why I have to walk away. I won't die for my father's sins," he said,"not when I am finally learning what happiness really feels like."

My fingers latched to my lap and I began to play with the loose threads of my denim shorts.

"Blood isn't always thicker than water,is it?" I wondered.

"It isn't." He answered.

"I wish I could stay here all day and feel pity for myself for being so dumb but I've got things to do."I announced as I got up.

"Good luck." I heard him say before I went back into the house to change.

Although I had never been a fan of makeup, I couldn't resist a red lipstick. There was something about it that spoke power and confidence. I applied a little foundation on my face to conceal my true complexion because every vampire in Adobe had probably memorized my face.

I was amazed by how easily I could walk in heels. I couldn't decide whether it was because of my extraordinary balance or the block heel. Well,it was probably the latter.

I had straightened my hair and braided it down before wearing my wig. I looked completely different. Even I almost didn't recognize myself in that short dress that hugged my body tightly.

I had never worn a bra in my life,having this one lift up my boobs and alter their actual size made me feel a little uncomfortable. I felt almost naked but it wasn't like those vampires would harass me,they would pay dearly if they ever did.

I wore a pair of stockings to accommodate a few belts on my thighs and waist in which I hid my weapons,silver knives and covered my slutty outfit by a velvet coat.

If I walked too fast,I would sweat a lot and that would ruin my make up so I requested a cab. I should have as many vampires as I could trapped in that pub before sundown.

"Good morning," the driver greeted me.

"Morning,"I said politely as I settled in the back.

"Where to?" He asked while I looked out the window. I couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was watching me,following me. It was like I wasn't on this journey alone.

"Adobe central,"I replied,still distracted.

I knew Jason had seen me coming and had certainly informed his alley but If I allowed every risky chance to slip through my fingers,I wouldn't have come this far.

I still found it hard to believe that he had been lying to me all this time. He ordered Camberley to beat me everyday and still had the nerve to console me,to pretend that he cared about me.

My mother,I couldn't understand how the hell she slept with a werewolf. My mother was so innocent for this world. She would never associate herself with the likes of Marcus. I guess I never really knew her. Honestly,who did I ever truly know?

I laughed at myself for believing that Camberley had bit him. He had the Andersen blood running through his veins too.

My phone vibrated in my coat pocket,breaking me from my thoughts.

I rolled my eyes when I saw the caller ID. I bit my nails anxiously as I debated on whether or not to answer the call. It had not even been two hours since I discovered this dirty little secret. I still felt the heat of anger in my blood.

I knew I would pour it all out on him if I ever answered.

"Aren't you going to answer that?"The driver looked at me through the rear mirror and I couldn't miss the coldness in his eyes.

"No,"I replied,still alarmed by the familiarity I could sense around me.

The phone vibrated again and this time,I answered.

"What do you want from me?" I asked,impatient to end the call already.

"Where are you?"

"Don't ask me that,I don't report to you."

"Jessica,listen to me,whatever you do,don't-"

"No,you listen to me,just because you got to order my mom into sleeping with you doesn't mean you get to hold me back from my plans,"I angrily whispered into the speaker as I caught the driver looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"What?" I could imagine that face disfigured as he acted surprised.

"You heard correct,don't ever contact me again." I said before ending the call.

The nerve! How dare he?

"Is everything okay,ma'am?"I ignored the familiarity in his voice. It took me back to the last place I wanted to be in right now.

"It will be if you just mind your own damn business." I said harshly.

"Pardon my manners,ma'am." He apologized. There was something sinister about the way he looked at me. I had never seen such a noisy cab driver. For minute,I suspect he could be one of Marcus' men. Damn him.

"Who sent you?" I finally asked,not appreciating his prying eyes on me through the rear mirror

"Excuse me,ma'am?"I could see him laughing behind that innocent look.

"Never mind,"I dismissed. I was comforted by the fact that I had about three knives on my waist. Should he try anything funny,I would make him meet his maker without a second thought. My body had never produced this much adrenaline.

"I said Adobe central,"I said as he turned into the opposite direction.

"It is true,they have completely changed you,Jessica."

"What did you say?" I asked stunned by his knowledge of my name.

"The old you would've listened to Marcus. Look where acting feisty led you,right into my arms,"it was when he laughed that i realized I knew him.

"Who are you?" I raised my eyebrow. Unfortunately I didn't come off as intimidating as Daniel.

"You really don't recognize me?" He put his hand on his chest,pretending to be offended.

My eyes were wide open as I looked at him expectantly. He then pulled over to the side of the road and started tearing off his fake beard. He took off the blonde wig,revealing to me the black ink hair I had felt through my fingers so many times.

"Jason?" I said under my breath.

"Hello,little sister,"he laughed after removing his contacts,allowing me into the dark eyes that I resented but somehow brought me comfort when nothing in my life seemed to make sense.

~

What's your favorite NF song?
Me:Epiphany (ft Futuristic)

Please VOTE

Love,
Ndindi