9:NEIGHBOR

[INTRODUCING A NEW CHARACTER]

Two days later

JESSICA

It was Friday afternoon and I was curled up in my bed with Pride And Prejudice. Reading had gotten me through the past days. It had been able to make me avoid what I really should be thinking about. I had managed to hide from reality but today, my mind was against it.

I couldn't focus so I gave it up and frustratedly closed the book shut. I grabbed my new and first phone on the nightstand to check the time and it was now three o'clock. I couldn't believe it. I had been reading for three hours, one hundred and eighty minutes and I honestly couldn't remember any word from that book.

I lurched to my feet and walked straight to the window. I had been too distracted lately to even take time to appreciate Marcus' garden. I had almost forgotten how beautiful it was. I leaned on the frame and let the sun kiss my face. The soft air that carried the flowers scents met my nostrils, making me close my eyes, silently begging it to last forever.

It wasn't long before unwanted thoughts crept back into my mind again. Schools were reopening on Monday and Marcus had not said anything about it.

He was probably thinking it wouldn't be safe to send me to school. I didn't blame him though, I mean, I didn't think I was safe either but I wouldn't spend my whole life locked up.

Besides, if the vampires really wanted to kill me, they already would have. They knew where I stayed, that should make things easier for them especially since I'd learnt that they had something against Marcus. But I wouldn't trust whatever I thought about them, they were unpredictable and speculating their next move would just drive me crazy.

My life was hard enough already. My encounter with the vampires had just added gasoline to fire. My trust in Marcus was constantly put to test. First, it was his own son and then them. I could not easily convince myself that Brian had lied, not after I'd seen that the pain and anger that consumed his eyes as he spoke about Marcus was undoubtedly genuine. I couldn't understand what Marcus had possibly done to have them coming at him like this.

As much as I desired to, I couldn't ignore this. Something inside told me it had to be connected with my parents'murder. I had to ask Marcus before it was too late. A stitch in time saved nine, right?

I had already turned and ready to get the task done when a sound of a glass shattering against the ground caught my attention, my curiosity begging me to peek outside.

A red Aston Martin supperleggera was parked in the driveway with its trunk wide open, revealing a crate of alcohol.
By the car, on the ground lay a broken bottle which i liked to assume was the one that had caught my attention.

My eyes then darted to two guys, a blonde and a brunette who had to be the owners of the car. They seemed to be arguing but my ears could not catch anything else than "fuck"

The blonde looked aggravated as he got into the Aston Martin driver's seat while the brunette who had his back to me dramatically threw his hands in the air, shouting "come on" with his voice full of laughter.

Whatever went down between the two seemed to be very amusing to him but his companion whose car took off with the most perfect purr. Man you gotta love an Aston Martin.

When he looked my way, I couldn't help but stare. Boy had to be the most gorgeous I had ever seen in planet Earth. He had the most stunning face ever that any male model would trade soul for. He smiled, revealing his toothpaste commercial worthy bright teeth.

How come did I not know I had a neighbor? A gorgeous one at that!

His wave snapped me back to the land of the living and I realized I had been staring at him for far too long. What would he think of me? He'd probably think I was creepy, hell, would he think that.