37:NICE SURPRISE

JESSICA

Darkness always brought the forest to rest. The sounds of the busy insects and birds chirping had all died with the light. Purity was gone. One would mistake the forest's quietude as serenity,it was miles from it as darkness permitted the not so holy creatures to roam around freely without fear of being caught.

Not all of them tolerated the sun as the Adobes. Not all of them could play with humans in the sun. This is when they hunted and being the only one without shelter or anything to protect myself except my little bubble,I was likely to be the prey.

Despite the unholy spirits that consumed it in darkness,it was of immense beauty. The leaves glimmered as the moonlight fell upon them. The only thing I found quite annoying with this forest was the cold grass. It blew no warmth to my tired butt. It had become numb from the cold and Daniel's head on my lap was impossible to do as a source of heat either.

"Daniel,"I whispered into his ear for the nth time. I would have long carried him but I was tired inside out and I didn't think I'd be able to even if I wasn't. He was heavy.

Why was I even staying with him? He was nothing to me. Nothing tied me to him. I didn't have to protect him. I should leave him.

With great caution,I removed his head from my lap. The only thing not holding my conscience prisoner was his slow intakes of air. As long as his heart gave him life,he could fight.

I was dusting off a bit of dust my dress had collected when the howling started. I couldn't be in the forest with them. Daniel couldn't be here with them.
As I froze,scrupulously listening,I realized they were closing in the distance. I rushed to make Daniel open his eyes but it was to no avail. Every second counted and every second,we were losing.

"Daniel,please wake up." I had grown up around wolves but as you would've guessed,I was not less allergic to them. It was about three years ago when Camberley found out Lisa was dating a human. Fueled by anger,she could not control her animalistic desire to kill and destroy. She hunted the poor guy down and killed him so that Lisa would look at nobody else but Jason,for what reason,I was still trying to find out. Sure,Jason was a wolf and had foresight but it couldn't be just that that made Camberley only see him as the one deserving of her majestic throne.

I was with a vampire,even at his vulnerable state, they would think he wanted to kill me.

I don't comprehend why slapping him was the first thing that came to my mind when the cool zephyr turned into an uncomfortable heat. Despite my effort,he remained asleep,mute.

My body raked in what I would confuse as fear on any other day. Today,the sweat breaking through my palms tasted different. It was bitter and reeked of fury.

It seemed like a horror scene unfolding before me when leaves started to fall off the trees. Strong air whirled around the forest and the descending cold bit my skin painfully.

"Liam,"I breathed when a familiar pair of ocean blue eyes gleamed in the darkness. Warmth shot over my body like needles. My heart felt full with joy. I knew he would find me.

My fear instantly wore off as I took steps towards him. I heard him growl in a way I thought unfriendly and that made me stop on my tracks. Suddenly, his shadow started to swallow me and out of fear,I retreated but not without him advancing. Making that growling sounds that sent multiple shivers which found their way deep within me.

I had just hit the stem of some damn tree when I realized I had been mistaken. The wolf's pupils dilated and the blue iris dissolved to amber.

"Camberley."I said,most to myself in surprise. She made what I assumed to be a throaty laugh before she was all in my face.

She roared furiously as I held her by the jaw so as to prevent her canines from slicing through my skin.

"Get off me,you nasty bitch!" I said through gritted teeth as her weight continued to push against me. Eventually, she broke free of my strong grip,causing me to hit the stem once again but this time,so hard. It felt as if my cranium was not enough protection.

I raised my arm which was slightly scratched to the air and observed it scrupulously as if in wonder,seconds had barely knitted a minute when she fell right into the trap. She charged against me with aim of ripping my finger off but I ducked and her head was the one to come into contact with the tree this time. She let out an animal like soulful cry that made me almost forget she was a bloody bitch.

I had never seen a weak wolf.

_

What's your hobby?mine:writing and of course,getting on my little sister's nerves💃🤣.

Don't forget to VOTE

Love,Ndindi.