16:THE SERVANT

JESSICA

After Daniel left,I wrapped myself with the warm blanket and begged sleep to catch me. It was only after an hour or so of staring blankly at the wall that I realized I never would sleep. Not only because of the past that kept forcing its way back to the present but the screaming pain on my arm. It then hit me that I hadn't taken the medication Ian had brought me.

Cautiously,I reached my good arm out and grabbed the medication as well as the sealed bottle of water. It was hard not to suspect them since they weren't in their original container but a small,see-through, plain one. They could be poisonous but I observed them and decided they weren't deadly.I didn't trust my judgement about pills since I knew very little about them but it was my proudest moment when I finally managed to swallow the last pill. I wasn't really fond of pills,want to know why? If they didn't dissolve on my tongue and torture my highly evolved tastebuds, they choked me! I hoped I would never have to go through the same pain ever again.

I stared at the empty bottle in my hands. Something about its bluish color triggered some old memory and I found myself quickly twisting it until it became little and threw it across the room. I hated Lisa.

This was ridiculous. This wasn't how I had planned for things to go but if I didn't want Daniel to kill me for whatever reason only he knew, I would have to do whatever he said, or not. I just had to find out why he wanted to kill me, it obviously wasn't because he'd found out that I had meant to deceive his family and then his words came swimming back in waves.

"Are you here to spill the beans,perhaps?"

"Spill what beans?"

I had asked because I honestly was clueless about what he was talking about and nothing had changed now,clueless I remained.

He not only asked that but also threatened to kill me if I ever went against him. There,Daniel thought I knew something.

I didn't know but whatever it was was big to make him consider killing me. He saw me as a threat and now more than ever, I was hopeful about my future. I mean he had gotten the chance to kill me but he didn't.

He wouldn't tell on me if I kept quiet about whatever he thought I knew. I laughed, we were now equal, I would no longer dance to his tune and it was time he knew that.

I slipped off my bed,deciding to do exactly what he'd ordered me not to.

Dizziness struck me as soon as my feet touched the floor. My legs felt light and it was as if my weight had tripled. My vision became funny so I could do no more than hold on tight to the bed and hoped it would soon be over.

After my vision became clear again, I hauled myself towards the window, pushed the curtain aside and spied outside. To my disappointment, there was nothing except a long grey wall that even if I tried climbing, I wouldn't succeed. At the end of it,there was a fence that overlapped the roof and I could only see through one of its boxes that the eye of heaven had dimmed. Time hadn't frozen,the clock was ticking and I would have to meet Victor soon.

Somehow, this was a familiar scene. It reminded me of Camberliseè. Even though this room was beautifully decorated, it made me feel trapped. It was just like my hut in Camberliseè that made me feel like there was inadequate supply of oxygen as I planned to take my enemies down. It seemed pointless, I didn't think I'd get out but I didn't stop, even though I broke down so many times,I kept plotting.

But Camberliseè was slightly bearable because there,I got to see Jason's face. My arm would be long healed by now, his saliva worked magic but here I was just stuck with a bunch of useless fiendish vampires.