15:STOICISM

JESSICA

In her long white dress,she appeared. It was her warm smile and pure eyes that brought illumination to the dark room. It's always been her favourite, the dress I mean. She got it from her mother who had gotten it from her mother.

I loved it too and I wished it would also be passed down to me one day until I saw its color change, when Red stained its innocence.

I hated when he sank his claws into its life. I didn't like it when he boasted that he had its death at beck. I hated when he claimed it as his own. I should've told him that he wasn't in control, I should've told him that he didn't hold its life in his filthy hands but like an idiot,I just stood there and watched him gracefully and proudly conquer.

Her afro was neatly tied back. It always amazed me how easily her hair cooperated when she styled it into whatever she desired. It was close to impossible to get a thick afro to humbly bend over to your rules.

I closed my eyes and leaned on to her palm as she caressed my cheek softly. I wished it would last forever. I was not entirely oblivious to what this was, a dream and I knew it would break me when I woke up and no longer felt her touch, hence I decided to savor the moment.

"Everything will be okay"

She said softly, taking me back to those days when she sang me lullabies to sleep.

"Don't you worry"

She soothed once again but her voice faint this time.

"Mother,"

I cried when she finally disappeared, her light with her, leaving me alone in the darkness.

My eyes burned with tears,signaling that the dream was over,I nonetheless refused to lift my eyelids but a harsh thud made me snap my eyes open, regretting it instantly as the action seemed to have stimulated my headache. Realizing the surroundings were unfamiliar was another ache on its own.

I could feel panic devouring my insides until my eyes met a pair of green ones.

My mother was something of an artist, painting was kind of a hobby to her and I had watched and helped her mix colors for her paintings but I was sure that this shade of green,I had never seen before, I didn't think I'd even be able to pull off the mixture, well, I could if I put my mind and heart to it. One thing that made art even more fascinating was that even though you could never really master it, it always granted you an opportunity to learn.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

His minty breath hit my face,making me realize that our faces were barely inches apart.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

I asked harshly in annoyance as I pressed my elbows on the mattress so I could sit up straighter.

"I should be the one asking you that, don't you think, Jessica,oh, America, I mean"

I rolled my eyes before I screamed as pain exploded the veins on my left arm.

"Do it gently, you're not dead"

He scolded as he rushed to wrap his hand around my waist to assist me sit. I thought his hand was too warm to be a bloodsucker's. Of course, he's half human.

"What happened to my arm?"

I asked, scrutinizing the thick bandage wrapped around it.

"You fell"

"I do remember falling but I never thought it was this bad"

Honestly, this wasn't very convincing. What if he had been drinking from me?
I quickly shoved the thought out of my mind.