Prologue

Ayla's tears started to fall as she was staring at her daughter and the man she loved together in the same picture. Pinahiran niya ang kanyang mga luha dahil ayaw niyang mahuli siya ng kanyang mga kaklase na umiiyak.

Nakatulala lang siya roon. Dalawang buwan pa lamang si Selene nang mawalay sa kanya. Nakalulungkot lang isipin na hindi ito kinuha sa kanya o kahit inilayo man lang. Siya ang nang-iwan dito at aminado siya roon.

At kinamumuhian niya ang sarili nang dahil doon.

"Sis, nandito na si Prof."

Hindi niya pinansin ang sinabi ng katabi. Nanatili lamang ang tingin niya sa litrato.

Ayla smiled when she remembered some memories of her with her child, but her smile faded when she remembered him.

The guy who never left her. The guy who loved her despite of her imperfections.

The guy who loved her even if she didn't love him back.

And also the guy, whom she left with her child.

"Flores, Ayla Reese?"

Nanatili ang tingin niya sa litratong hawak at dahil nakatulala lamang siya roon, hindi niya narinig ang pagtawag sa kanya ng kanilang guro.

"Sis! Tawag ka ni Prof!"

Nabalik ang kanyang ulirat nang sikuhin siya ng katabi. Napatingin pa siya rito bago mapatingin sa guro na nasa harap.

Awtomatikong tumigil ang kanyang mundo sa pag-ikot. Her heart was thumping against her rib.

He was just standing there. The details of him in her memory was like flashing in a projector in front of her. She thought at first that she was dreaming not until he spoke.

"You seem surprised, Flores. Did I shock you? Or you aren't just aware of my presence? I've been standing here for 5 minutes."

His voice became deeper and his tone was as serious as his face. The gentleness in his voice was gone like the way he used to talk to her before.

"I'm your new professor in Law in Business Organization temporarily. In case you didn't hear everything I've been talking here just now."

Umiwas siya ng tingin. Humigpit ang kapit niya sa kanyang upuan at huminga nang malalim bago sumagot. Sobrang bilis ng tibok ng kanyang puso at halos nanginginig ang kanyang kalamnan.

"I-I'm sorry, Prof. Hindi na mauulit," hindi makatingin nang diretso sa mga mata nitong aniya.

"Make sure na talagang hindi na mauulit. I hate talking here in the front na wala namang nakikinig."

Natakot siya sa tono ng pananalita nito. He sounded and looked so professional. With his white long sleeve outfit, tucked in his khaki pants and belt. His long black hair that always reminds her of him was tied making him look more good than before. His glasses made him look more sexy. He has a gold watch on his wrist while his hand was on his pocket. Ang kabila nitong kamay ay nakahawak sa index card na paniguradong nakalagay doon ang pangalan niya.

He was leaning against the table and that sight of him really made her cheeks flushed. She had never seen him that attractive. Well, she admit that he was also attractive back then but, 10x more attractive now and she couldn't even deny it.

"I promise, Professor. I won't," tila may nakabara sa kanyang lalamunan na sabi pa niya.

Narinig niyang napangisi ito kaya napatingin siya rito.

"I hope you will keep your promise this time, Ayla."

Natulala siya sa sinabi nito. Nakaramdam siya ng pagkaguilty at pagkalungkot.

Those words he said triggered her conscience.

To remind her that she didn't keep her promise to love him.

To remind her that she didn't keep her promise not to leave him over the man who just used her for money.

Ayla broke her promises and starting on that day, she knew that the guilt she was feeling for the past four years would haunt her over and over again.

***

NOTE: This story contains spoilers for Summer Love in the Sugar Island (Isla de Negros Series #1)