Chapter 7 - Game night

"So, how do you like Xander? I think your parents loved him, especially your dad," Cain said, as Jane was driving them back to the penthouse.

"He's great," she said elusively.

"You don't seem convinced."

"What do you want me to say?" Jane asked, starting to get irritated. Could she not catch an effing break! She gave him a quick look and he looked back at her displeased. "What?" she asked again.

"What do you mean what? I want you to get along with my brother! Is that so hard to understand?" Cain asked loudly.

"I never said I didn't get along with him. I've barely met the guy. That's all!"

"Then why didn't you say hello to him when we got to your parents'?"

"I did say hello to him." Right?

"You barely uttered a word and didn't even stand up to give him a kiss or something! I don't understand why you are being so distant with him."

Cain looked troubled. It would be hilarious if only she could tell him the truth. Something along the lines of: I was keeping my distance from your brother because I do not want you to know that I have loved him for the last ten years, that's why I did not get up to kiss him! So funny, ha ha, Jane thought. "I didn't stand up to give him a kiss because I had just seen him an hour before. That's all," she said in a levelled voice. "Don't read anything into it. But if you want as soon as we get home, I'll kiss him all over, if it would make you happy!"

"That won't be necessary," Cain laughed. "I'm sorry, I just want you two to get along."

"And we are! So, stop pressuring us, and we will get along even better, OK?"

"You're right," he agreed, putting his hand on top of hers on the gear stick. "About the kissing all over part... I wouldn't mind some of that as soon as we get home," he whispered seductively. Jane did not say a word, concentrating on her driving. "Sorry, I'm distracting you. I know you hate being distracted while you drive," Cain added, pulling his hand away from hers.

"Yeah..." That was all Jane managed to reply. She had no idea if she could sleep with him. She had missed him terribly the past week, but now she felt too empty to make love to her fiancé. "I need to call work when we get home. I haven't checked in all day."

"Of course. Later then," Cain said, grinning. Jane smiled back and was feeling grateful that they were almost there. They parked their cars in the underground parking of the penthouse building.

"How was your ride?" Alek asked worriedly.

"Good," she replied with a half-smile to reassure him.

They walked to the elevator and hopped in. She had always felt like their private elevator was unnecessary big, but not today. Being cramped between Cain and Alek felt horrible, there was no air left for her.

"You want to play some pool?" Cain asked Alek. Apparently, he was not feeling cramped at all. Then again, why should he?

"Yeah. Why not?" replied Alek and breathed in deeply as soon as he walked out of the elevator. He had been feeling just as cramped as Jane.

"Cool! Why don't you join us when you're done with your phone call?" Cain asked Jane.

"Sure," she replied.

"You can use my office. Don't take too long, Luna and Will should be here soon."

"Luna and Will?" Jane asked as if she had never heard the name of her best friend and her boyfriend before.